Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty. I have a male mollie that I'm just about ready to flush down the toilet-- still living or not.

We breed angelfish. So as to always have "fresh" stock we regularly buy new angels to try and create new pairs and all that. To do this we use our 100 gallon community tank. Currently the tank houses about 12 quarter sized angels, 6 tetras (for color :p ) and four silver mollies. Of the mollies only one is a male. Now- we recently had a mild illness (cough) that has been especially hard on the angels. For some reason the male mollie has decided he needs to swim all over the tank and attack any angel he sees. Never another mollie or even one of the tetras. Brand new behaviour as well.
Seeing as the angels are an investment, and I only have the mollies so the little live borns can be 'live treats' for older angels, my patience with the little devil is wearing thin. He is a large very healthy fish with beautiful coloring. His nips are quite large and for these already weak fish, some of which are expensive imports, I'm afraid he might damage some beyond repair.

Now! I'm just wondering if anyone in this forum has any advice that doesn't involve killing the bugger. Murder is beneath me. =>_>= Also- I've enjoyed how the tank has been and if I could find a solution without having to curse and chase this fish with a net... It'd be nice. Thanks much to any with advice.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard.:wave:

Don't flush the fish.:blink: Best to give him to your friends or lfs. If not, you can buy him a 10 gallons tank for his own home.:)
As for catching, try baiting him with food and scoop him with a net.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd never really be able to flush him. Le sigh-- it'd be the quickest solution but I'd never be able to.

I'd prefer to keep him since he actually has very interesting coloring. Silver/platinum with turquoise spotting on the tail. I was just fishing for some idea I hadn't thought of, really. Just in case someone out there could magically just make him stop.

We have about four ten gallons set up at all times for treatment and quarantine but all are occupied. -Hey, you wouldn't be interested in a very male/aggresive mollie would you?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Baka1216 said:
Hey, you wouldn't be interested in a very male/aggresive mollie would you?
Lol...Maybe.:wink2: Where are you located? Add location in your profile aside from the question.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SLC, UT. Usually pretty far from people, no matter where they are. Don't know what that is but they always say "Utah? Wow." As though it's the other side of the world... or just an odd place I guess. Either way. UT.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Baka1216 said:
SLC, UT. Usually pretty far from people, no matter where they are. Don't know what that is but they always say "Utah? Wow." As though it's the other side of the world... or just an odd place I guess. Either way. UT.
:bluelaugh: That's far.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheeky. :p I take it you don't want to take this little guy off my hands then?
I'll at least need to replase him since he keeps my live treats coming... though since they're mollies I guess I wouldn't need to replace him all that fast.
I wish I could just bap his nose, say bad fish, and get it to stop. Oh well. Nothing is magical and simple.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Baka1216 said:
Cheeky. :p I take it you don't want to take this little guy off my hands then?
I would be glad to but I live in the Philippines.:sarcastic:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of our fish have come from as far or further and they are fine. Aside from the little problem in the community tank. *lol* -but yes. That is far. Especially for one little mollie.
Totally unrelated but as I'm a very new member I figured I'd ask someone who knows the ropes here. The illness we've been having with our angels seems to target only them and only specific strains. I was wondering if you knew about anyone here who knows a lot about angels and might be able to chat about what this problem could be in further detail? That'd be uber if you could. I'm coasting around but I'm seeing a lot of posts from people who just want to be mean to someone with a Q. I've seen a few that aren't like that but since this seems very much an angel problem... yeah. I'm rambling in text form. Back to my Q to you. Please and thank you?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
What disease were you referring? Yep. Some diseases do afflict only certain species. Neon Tetra Disease seems to affect almost all characins though there are claims that cardinal tetras are the only ones immune to NTD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start a new topic elsewhere or continue here??

Lost our second angel to this just this morning. Test strips indicate optimal water conditions but since those are oh so reliable I went hunting for our chemical tests and such but it seems they were damaged in our move. The ph test seemed usuable and I've found the ph to be a bit high as far as angels go but nothing that would directly cause problems. Currently trying to contact a few stores/friends nearby for a replacement and will be able to post something with enough information (and possibly pictures) sometime later today.

The good news is that our male mollie has given up his odd obsession literally overnight. He's back to constantly harrassing one female or the other. I thank you for your help (Blue) with the mollie. You kept me from flushing the oddball. *heh* Also thanks for the reply from joeshmoe. A problem can seem better just from it being relatable. Ja ne until I can bother more people with our angel issues. :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Re: Start a new topic elsewhere or continue here??

Baka1216 said:
The ph test seemed usuable and I've found the ph to be a bit high as far as angels go but nothing that would directly cause problems.
How high is your pH?:) I find it odd you're losing those angels when they are very hardy.:blueworry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a fish whine

Test this afternoon said 7.6. We usually run a magnum with a rigged up peat filter to make it more acidic but due to this odd illness haven't for almost two weeks of medications, cleanings, and water changes. This sort of thing is fun to deal with during christmas, too. Yelling, cleaning, shopping, blah blah blah. We've treated for basic fungus and parasites but so far just the two dead fish and at least five others showing signs of this whatever it is.
It's hard to pin down. The fish behavior hasn't changed much. No rubbing, darting, spinning, hiding. It starts as a film along the top of the body. White in color but not patchy or cottony in any way. I figured it was either a fungus or a slime coat parasite of some sort. Some meds, a water change, and a little cleaning and it proved much more annoying. It seems to borrow bits and pieces from different diseases and not respond to treatments for any. The thing that's most annoying to me is the fact it's only hitting our angels. One of our red minor tetras had actually gashed his side, seemd quite bad if not fatal to the little thing, but not only did the wound not grow any fungus or decay it healed quite fast. The bugger zips around the tank as if he hadn't almost killed himself. Probably a week ago now.
It seems to hit the more inbred types much harder. Like the black veil that died first. We actually have an altum, which is what I'm most worried about, but he has no outward signs of anything. So far. Oi, now I need to knock on wood.
If I had the time I'd just do a scrape on one of the affected fish but time is impossible to find right now. Plus I'd have to find our microscope, in whichever box it's in. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and just tell the "Boss" to fix it himself. I'm not a fish doc after all.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
7.6 is IMO not a problem. pH doesn't matter at all unless you see pH swings caused by low KH(carbonate hardness).
You should not touch the pH. You have to remove the peat I'm afraid. Your mollies will eventually suffer when the pH becomes too low. The reason why you were not able to lower the pH is you may have very high KH making it impossible for you to lower the pH but let's not touch the pH. There's no reason to lower the pH unless your fish really requires that.

As for meds, what medicines were you using? Do you remove the med before using another? If you don't, use activated carbon to remove the treatment. IMO, the danger lies more on stress as you could be mixing the treatments without removing the one you have used before resorting to another.

Pls try to figure out your ammonia, nitrties and nitrates.:)

Baka1216 said:
It starts as a film along the top of the body. White in color but not patchy or cottony in any way.
The film sounds like slime coat. You should not use treatments until you figure out what disease is exactly hitting them.
It seems to hit the more inbred types much harder.
How did you figure out your angels are inbred?:squint: It would be nice if your supplier did mention about the parents being related to each other or rather part of the family.

Inbreeding can happen if the parents are siblings or relatives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts