Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two community tanks: 5 gal and 10 gal, freshwater, plants. I replace 15% H20 each week. The water drops 1"- 2" naturally each week throughout the year. Is there a detrimental effect to be concerned about? There is a white crusty build up around the filters. Calcium? Our GH is 0, so could it be something else?

Thanks in advance,

B.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We all deal with it.

As for problems...

The less water you have, the greater the concentration of things dissolved or mixed into the water. In such small tanks, you are losing a fairly large percentage of your water, relatively. Is it concerning? No... just something to be aware of. Refill at least every two weeks.

A tight fitting lid, such as a pane of glass, can cut your evaporation to about a quarter of your current loss, if it bothers you.

The white stuff left behind is dissolved minerals... calcium is the most commonly known.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The only problem I see with the evaporation issue is if you are not doing water changes, toxins just become more concentrated. Topping off the tank is not a substitute for water changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I understand then, it should not be a problem.

I'm still curious about the "calcium" deposits. GH (general hardness) is a measure of calcium and magnesium in water. My water is soft, like "0" soft then the deposits are soemthing else, or, even trace amounts will crystalize even if not emasurable. I am not a chemest, nor am I concerned. Just curious.

How do you clean the deposits without damaging the surface it is on? I've cleaned it a few times, but I had to be pretty aggressive with a rough cloth.

B.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
156 Posts
Scrape w/ Razor blade if you have a glass tank. If a acrylic or other plastic tank, I don't know.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If your hardness is 0, be sure to do regular water changes to avoid swings in water quality , don't just top off. In low ph , low kh (carbonate hardness) systems ammonia can be a problem as it converts from a relativly harmless form at low ph to a more toxic form when harder water is added from your tap. Hard water keeps ph high and stable, but as water sits in your tank and is used by fish, plants, and bacteria ph drops, changing ammonia to ammonium. Then when you add water, raising the ph, it converts back to ammonia and kills fish. Regular water changes will keep your tank stable .
Good luck!
P.S. vinegar will disolve the scale deposits around your filter, just be very careful not to get it in your water, obviously

1 - 7 of 7 Posts