Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member, so I don't know if there is an institutional policy on this. If there is, please disregard.

There are an extraordinary number of threads on topics that have already been addressed in depth. Searching before posting seems to be dying out. In particular, the planted tank section has an awful lot of topics that are exhaustively addressed.

Would it be possible to have one mod per section to post links to previous, on point threads?

It's a great resource, so thank you for curating/listening.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
This is a valid point, and one the moderators have discussed from time to time. New members join and then ask their question (which is usually why they have joined, to get help for some particular issue). I am someone who responds with near-identical advice to dozens if not hundreds of these.:lol:

The problem with forcing these new members to search rather than respond is that it can quickly drive them away. People now days seem to have little patience. With all the electronic gadgetry we have, we expect answers almost as soon as we have asked the question, and when this isn't forthcoming, many just move on. So we need to strike a balance.

We have developed a Reference Material area, where we are posting articles on common topics, not to mention our extensive fish and plant profiles. Even trying to get some members to look at these is difficult, notwithstanding that the answer to their question is often there.:)

Byron.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
This is a common issue/'complaint' on many forums. As Byron points out, people often join because of a problem and generally don't search for an answer. I'm not sure how to encourage or require searching.
I think the best we can do is to be patient and supportive and provide links to the reference area as Byron suggests.

I am a new member, so I don't know if there is an institutional policy on this. If there is, please disregard.

There are an extraordinary number of threads on topics that have already been addressed in depth. Searching before posting seems to be dying out. In particular, the planted tank section has an awful lot of topics that are exhaustively addressed.

Would it be possible to have one mod per section to post links to previous, on point threads?

It's a great resource, so thank you for curating/listening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts