Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fancy goldfish was sitting in a small bowl while I was cleaning his tank. My cat jumped onto the counter and got him. He was knocked out of the bowl but was still alive. I quickly scooped him up and placed him back into the bowl. I have another fish in the same 10 gallon filtered and heated tank (upgrading to a much bigger tank when I move in mid Feb). My fish is only about a month old and was purchased from PetCo on December 23, 2014. His tail has not lost any length but is shredded vertically. He has a few scales missing. The fiasco happened about an hour ago and I have moved him into a large mixing bowl (trying to put him in something large to avoid bacteria from sitting on top of him). I do not have aquarium or non iodized salt but I do have Peroxide. I need help fast! I am a beginner when it comes to fishkeeping but I'm willing to try anything I can to help this fish! I noticed he's starting to have whiteish/silverish dusting on the tip of his tail. I know ick is supossed to be white, but have personally never seen it.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish :( For now, keep it in very clean water and keep an eye out for signs of infection.

You can get some Melafix at Petco/Petsmart to help heal any wounds. It's an antibacterial medication that's fairly mild but I would start with half of the recommended dose as a preventative measure for secondary infection.

Ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt and not what you're describing at all. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How is he acting? Were you hands wet when you scooped him up? If not you could have damaged his slime coat. Can you take some pictures? Ich looks like the fish is covered with white bumbs, almost like tons of pimples. Are any stores open in your area? If so, go buy some Stress Coat and dose the fish's container. If not, try to calm the fish down until you can get some. Keep the lights off or cover the bowl with a clothor something until he has chilled a bit and is acting normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't look like either of what you two discribed. I also google image searched to make sure it wasn't. It honestly looked like little specks of silver glitter. By the time I woke up and checked on him this morning, it was gone. I'm keeping him in a small 1/2 gallon tank until I can go to the store and get a larger tank and some medication for him. So far he looks to be doing okay. He's sluggish and hanging around the bottom of his tank but he's a little more active than he was last night. I tried to take some pictures, but the camera on my phone isn't the best.

When taking the pictures, I also noticed something on his eye that I circled.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts