Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!
I just started my first tank a few months back. It is a 10 gallon freshwater tank and currently has an Emerald Cory Cat, a shrimp, three plants, a medium piece of aquatic wood, three small moss balls, and two little houses!
I would like to get more cory cats as I have learned on here that they do better in groups; I would also like to add one more type of fish. I was wondering if I could do a male Betta with the cories and how many cories?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I guess I was lied to... Should I just leave him in there by himself then?
Hmm, maybe you can take him back? Get some Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras habrosus they are dwarf cories that only get about an inch.
Cories are very social and stress out when not in groups

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pet stores sometimes mix common names. Bronchis splendens are sometimes called emerald catfish or green cories. They grow 3 inches.

If you maintain your water well and have live plants (which you do), you can slightly overstock your tank, but 4 would be the max that I'd put into a 10 gallon. Don't think that you've done something horrible. You are just starting. Your calculation of one inch per fish per gallon is the one that I use. I wouldn't add a betta as this would not make anyone comfortable (space wise), but with a bigger tank, betta and cories do well together.

I have a twenty gallon planted with 2 bronchis splendens (emerald cories) 3 orange laser cories and one corydora aeneus, and 2 baby laser plus 5 lemon tetras. So I have 24 inches of fish and 28 once the babies are full grown. I did not intentionally overstock. I did mix up the description of the emerald cories and the pet store didn't correct me. But all are doing well.

If you are enjoying your fish, I'm sure that you will find that you want a bigger tank eventually. This can be done in time, it doesn't have to be today.

Check out the "reference material" tab above. It has great information on fish and plants with pictures.

Cories also like a place to hide. I looked at your tank and can't tell if the houses are caves,but if they are big enough, your cories will love them. My tank has a piece of driftwood that all of the cories enjoy being under.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts