Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Yes it is a sponge eater but that isnt its only diet. It just states that so if you had sponges you wouldn't get mad if it eats them. I love those angels just I would not like it going rampent in my SPS setup. Please post pics when you do get him. I love seeing them all the time.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just take the best care of it you can. I have yet to see one that can survive for long to aquarium life. They are so sensitive and usually die within a few weeks.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
What we do with are customers is when they first arrive is get them to eat first before they are sold, then before you by it ask them to feed him. You probably know this already. Any good LFS store should do this anyway to avoid pissing off customers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Really good, stable water will definitely help along with a lot of variation in their diet and a relatively stress-free environment. All of the Imperators that have come through work seem to have done just fine and usually have no trouble eating after a few days. The only suggestion I have is that sometime down the road you invest in a bigger tank. Emperors can get 15+ inches and need a good amount of room to move about. I have a friend that's had a juvenile for about a year now and it's starting to move into it's adult phase. Really cool fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Angels are omnivorous, so both meaty foods and vegetable matter in the diet is ideal. They'll probably pick at some algae in your tank or any algae strips you put in for your tangs. They'll readily take Formula 1 and 2 frozen foods, brine and mysis shrimp, and probably some pellet foods. There's also a frozen food specifically made for angelfish. Has sponges in it and is supposed to simulate their natural diet. Scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, anything like that would be good as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, and there's also a product called Selcon that you can mix in with their food if you can't give them that varied a diet. It's designed for reef invertibrates, but I use it with my freshwater fish and it makes their color explode. It has fatty acids and vitamins B and C in it, which fish don't usually get on a limited diet. You could also use something like Vita-Chem or Garlic Guard.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after weeks of waiting here it is. I wasen't able to get a great picture. I have had him in there for about 23 hours now. He hasen't eaten the special food with sponges in it, but he has been picking at the rocks.
I am going to go buy a sponge that is inexspensive for him to eat, but I will still feed but that way he can pick when ever he wants.

Roger

He is very shy everytime I go over to take a picture he hinds behind the rock

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
JackBauer said:
Those things are just beautiful. I was at my LFS today, and they sell for $300 here! How much are they where you get them?
Please tell me its a adult angel for $300. Even adult one thats a rip off and a half.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I just found out that in the mid west they tend to run a little pricey

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah exactly, pretty fish. But you better count on 1 out of 3 living. I know two people it took, 3 fish to get one to live for more than 6 months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts