Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like the title says!

So my 5 gallon had about 9 cherry shrimp and 4 endlers and and a lot of snails. Just itty bitty snails everywhere.

Since I'm currently working on getting my 13 gallon up to snuff (it has a sand substrate) I decided to get an assassin snail for my 5 gallon. Which I then would move into my 13 gallon, which would help with the sand, as I'm reading they also like to borrow like the trumpet snails (Malaysian?).

I transferred my dwarf grass out because it was dying (I'm pretty sure it was MONDO grass - which isn't really aquatic according to the sites I've googled; the guy at my LFS didn't know what it was, and the next day I went there it was all gone because the guy said it died....soooo)

I bought Dwarf Hairgrass after researching it. I know it needs suppliments and needs to be trimmed. I thought it was be a fun part of the hobby.

I have never vaccummed the gravel, just moved it around with my fingers, as it's just 5 gallons and just about an inch deep. Though now when I took out the dying grass and put in the hairgrass and then sat down to look at it, put the light back on... the water was YELLOW and MURKY.

Now as I finish writing this wall of text (sorry! I know I'm long winded!) the water is still cloudy.

I panicked. I had tested the water levels of my 13 gallon recently - which has been up for only 2weeks - I just threw the fish and shrimp in there. The levels of my 13 gallon tank are fine, according to my liquid amonia test and my strip test for the gh, kh, nitrite, and nitrate.
My 13 gallon tank is fully planted, but not fully cycled(?), and temperture is the same as my 5 gallon which currently just has an assassin snail and lots of other snails. I've been seeding my 13 gallon with the ornaments from my 5 gallon and the anubias nana from my 5 gallon.

What should I do? Should I return the fish and (if I can catch) the shrimp back to the 5 gallon once the water clears? How do I get the water to clear? Should I clean the gravel with something? Get a better filter?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Water looked still a bit yellow so I did a 25% water change and now it's looking much better!But still not crystal clear

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, day 3: Did some tests. All good! Except the gh was a little higher than usual, like 120, and the nitrate was lower than usual. Still good according to the color chart, though.
Currently the water is A LOT better but still...idk, a bit yellow-ish?
The assassin snail wiped out the tiny snails in two days lol! There's barely any left!
The endlers are doing fine in the 13 gallon, but two of the cherry shrimp didn't make it, I assume because I didn't let them adjust to the water in my panicked state. But the others love all the plants and are eating away at the java moss bunches :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts