Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a terrible keeping plants alive. After a couple weeks all my plants turn black and start dying. The stuff is a black slimy coating that you scape off with a fingernail to find a nice green leaf underneath. I can't get rid of it! The fish are doing fine.

I decided to try a Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) treatment. I've read up on it but finding conflicting info on the dosage. Some sites say 1ml/gallon. Others say 1ml/10 gallons. For my 29 gallon tank that the difference between 3/4 teaspoon and1/8 cup! What should it use?

A picture is attached to show the condition of my plants. Any help is appreciated.
DSC09575crop.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, you got a problem there. I'm not an expert on this but I think your tank is lacking CO2. Do you have an air pump blowing air bubbles in your tank? If so you might need to increase the flow. The air pump puts Oxygen and CO2 into the water. And the more fish you have then the more CO2 the tank will have. You have to have an even balance between the fish and the plants.

I got some CO2 tablets coming, going to try them for the first time. I found the best price on Wish.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have an air pump, but don't use it because i didn't like the bubbles. But i'll give it a try for a while and see if it helps. That's an idea that won't hurt anything, so i'll always try those first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How long has your tank been set up? Maybe it's my phone, but the algae looks brown to me and brown algae rubs off fairly easily. Keep cleaning it off the plant leaves so the plants don't smother. It will keep coming back. What's your lighting & what plants do you have? Wrong dosing of hydrogen peroxide could kill them and your fish if you're not sure what you're doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long has your tank been set up? Maybe it's my phone, but the algae looks brown to me and brown algae rubs off fairly easily. Keep cleaning it off the plant leaves so the plants don't smother. It will keep coming back. What's your lighting & what plants do you have? Wrong dosing of hydrogen peroxide could kill them and your fish if you're not sure what you're doing.
Thanks for answering.
The tank has been going for over a year now. Yes, the algae is dark brown, but it doesn't come off that easily and some plants have curly leaves that make it impossible to rub off. Others are too delicate and rubbing them damages the leaves. I also can't rub every leaf in a aquarium and the does keep coming back. I'd like to get rid of it. I have no idea what kind of plants they are; i buy all different kinds.
I understand about dosing dangers of H2O2. That's what my original post asked: what is the correct dosage?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I suggest getting some floating plants my 25 gal tank had this problem and was easily solved with duck weed, mystery AND ramhorn snails plus a few ghost and chrry shrimp. BOOM problem solved! My algea eater (That I later put im my 120 gallon tank) took care of this problem untill I put it in my big tank, I replaced it with 3 cory doras

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest getting some floating plants my 25 gal tank had this problem and was easily solved with duck weed, mystery AND ramhorn snails plus a few ghost and chrry shrimp. BOOM problem solved! My algea eater (That I later put im my 120 gallon tank) took care of this problem untill I put it in my big tank, I replaced it with 3 cory doras
Thanks for the suggestion. Adding floating plants is an easy solution that can't hurt. I can't have snails because i have loaches in my tank; they will leave empty snail shells within 24 hours. My reticulated algae eater doesn't touch the stuff and neither do my 2 Corys. But i'll try the duck weed and other floating plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts