Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyobe I'm new to fish keeping and recently got a betta from the pet store I've had him for around 1 month now, he came in with some mild fin rot with just the edges of his tail blackened from there till now he has been doing well but this morning I woke up and his tail was all frayed his gills were blackened at the edges, as of now he is living in a 5 gallon tank with live plants only, I thought I might've been an ammonia spike so I've done a 50% water change but he isn't looking too good, pls help!
(btw he also have these spots on his face)

The top one is now and the bottom is before.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyobe I'm new to fish keeping and recently got a betta from the pet store I've had him for around 1 month now, he came in with some mild fin rot with just the edges of his tail blackened from there till now he has been doing well but this morning I woke up and his tail was all frayed his gills were blackened at the edges, as of now he is living in a 5 gallon tank with live plants only, I thought I might've been an ammonia spike so I've done a 50% water change but he isn't looking too good, pls help! View attachment 845167

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi everyobe I'm new to fish keeping and recently got a betta from the pet store I've had him for around 1 month now, he came in with some mild fin rot with just the edges of his tail blackened from there till now he has been doing well but this morning I woke up and his tail was all frayed his gills were blackened at the edges, as of now he is living in a 5 gallon tank with live plants only, I thought I might've been an ammonia spike so I've done a 50% water change but he isn't looking too good, pls help! View attachment 845167
Please take a moment to answer these questions. The more info you can give the faster we can help.
🔽

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please take a moment to answer these questions. The more info you can give the faster we can help.
🔽

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

b. What meds were used?

Hi there I have
🔽

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

b. What meds were used?

Hi there
1. the size of the tank is 20 litres
2. No test kit only an ammonia tester which reads for 30 ppm
3. The temperature is at 26 celcius
4. freshwater (may seem yellow due to Indian almond leaves)
5. 1 month, but I didn't have time to establish a proper bacterial ecosystem as the fish was randomly gifted to me in a globe
6. I have 1 betta and 6 neon tetras

7. No
8. I have a few live plants, with gravel at the bottom as a substrate and few large rocks placed around and in the middle I have a terracotta hide.
9. Yes I have a filter and heater
10. I have an led light over the aquarium where I turn on for 12 hours everyday
11. I do a 20% water change once a week and take out the water using a gravel vaccum, then I replaced with tap water I have let sit out for 3 days + along with some stress coat
12. I feed the betta Hikari pellets and the neon tetra tetra flakes twice a day and for lunch they have shrimp meal
13. Poop are brown colored and seem fine while the gills of the betta seems blackened around the edges
14. No I have not, just did a water 20% water change

Attachments

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
100 Posts
As @Dartmouthseven says , you want 0ppm of ammonia , I also suggest instead of letting the water sit for 3 days that you use a water conditioner that Detoxifies (removes) ammonia , nitrites , nitrates , chlorine , chloramines and heavy metals for all water changes and top offs. I've recently started using the new to market API Aqua Essential , but any water conditioner that detoxifies those things is far better than just letting the water sit. And / or because you said you didn't have a chance to properly complete the nitrogen cycle before adding the fish , I also suggest you use a "good" bacteria starter additive such as Dr. Tim's Aquatics "One and Only" , API Quick Start , Tetra Safe Start Plus. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
As @Dartmouthseven says , you want 0ppm of ammonia , I also suggest instead of letting the water sit for 3 days that you use a water conditioner that Detoxifies (removes) ammonia , nitrites , nitrates , chlorine , chloramines and heavy metals for all water changes and top offs. I've recently started using the new to market API Aqua Essential , but any water conditioner that detoxifies those things is far better than just letting the water sit. And / or because you said you didn't have a chance to properly complete the nitrogen cycle before adding the fish , I also suggest you use a "good" bacteria starter additive such as Dr. Tim's Aquatics "One and Only" , API Quick Start , Tetra Safe Start Plus. I hope this helps.
I just started using API's new conditioner as well. It's cheaper than Prime and does the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Mystchavos, hey! the betta seems to be looking better after I did another water change and added in some safe seachem to reduce the ammonia levels, as of now his tail is starting to grow back in tact slowly but his scales are still blackened on the edges and for some reason he still have these silvery patches on his face from when I first bought him is that normal? I'm also ordering seachem stability that's coming soon which should hopefully help me to establish a proper nitrogen cycle, btw thanks for the advice

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
100 Posts
Glad to hear he's in recovery , Mystchavos (betta) has always had a silver face
Bird Eye Beak Azure Blue

as for the blackened scale edges I can't say for certain ; it could simply be from a natural changing of color(s) , it could be from stress or it could be an illness. continue to monitor him and

1 - 11 of 11 Posts