Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up 7 of these little guys tonight...about the size of peas. Now I've kept them before over the years but never in all that time have I actually seen one of them puff up. I've seen bigger puffers do it but never the dwarf puffers...my question is has anyone? Oh and they are currently being housed in a divided off section of a 20 gallon tank before I break them off into two or three seperate breeding groups.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i bought this old book from a sunday market ( $6, Dr sterba's aquarium handbook ) and it showed a picture on one of the pages showing a freshwater puffer blowing up.

I'm not sure about this though....

anyway, i don't think puffers would blow up if they are the size of peas....:lol:

Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
i think these guys r soooo cool, do u have to keep them in their own tank, r they aggresive??? being so small im thinkin that they would b ok with other larger fish??????????????????

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
lioness501 said:
i think these guys r soooo cool, do u have to keep them in their own tank, r they aggresive??? being so small im thinkin that they would b ok with other larger fish??????????????????
Hi Lioness.:wave:

They get nippy and do nip like other puffers do. No, they shouldn't be kept with larger fish. They're best kept in a species tank only. Otos are the ones often suggested to be kept with dwarf puffers. Although there may be a chance that the otos will be nip, it is unlikely to happen if there are lots of hideouts for them to seek cover.:)

Puffers should be given snails as well to feed on as their beaks are likely to become overgrown making it difficult for puffers to eat well. They're likely to just starve to death because of overgrown beaks.:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
awww so i couldnt have 1 then :(:( thats a shame i think they r amazing, as they r small wats the smallest tank i could keep a couple in?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
A 10 gallons would do it although I'm sure a 5 gallons is just as great.:) There may be a little nipping otherwise they're fine when kept together.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A five gallon would easily handle 3 or 4 dwarf puffers. Keep the water current light as they are generally poor swimmers. They don't readily accept flake food either so I feed mine frozen blood worms and small snails on occasion. They are easiest to keep in their own tank but some fish are ok with them. You would want something small enough that it wouldnt bother the puffers and fast enough that it could dodge them trying to give it a nip...neons would do fine. You might get a nipped fin every once in a while but thats about it. But the puffers are interesting enough that I prefer to keep them seperated from other fish. As far as agression amongst the dwarf puffers its mostly the males that fight over territory. Females will actually form a loose school in a tank. Once territories have been established males will rarely bother each other until spawning, at which time they may hurt each other pretty badly. They are relatively easy to sex though so it would be possible to get one male and a trio females and largely avoid the puffer vs puffer fighting.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A picture of one of the 7 dwarf puffers I got the other day. That's a standard little airstone in the picture to give you an idea of how small they are (and this is one of the bigger ones!)

·
Registered
627 Posts
how cute is that fish!!!!! my lfs had loads in at the weekend, they were in the same tank as many other fish this is why i thought its possible to get away with it. but nevermind :( will need a new tank!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a quick note--I don't believe dwarf puffers actually have beaks, all the other ones do but not the dwarfs. I have never actually been able to entice my dwarf puffer to eat any snails, only bloodworms and brine shrimp. By the way, he is kept in a well planted community tank with many other fish, no fin nipping. As long as the other fish are reasonably quick, they should be alright to be kept with other fish.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry, I believe I was mistaken--earlier research told me that dwarf puffers do not have beaks but now I have read that they do, but they don't need to be trimmed. Hopefully they don't need to eat snails either because mine doesn't..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine ravage any small snails I put into their tank. The life expectancy of a malaysian trumpet snail added to my puffer tank is less than 2 minutes. The only thing they eat quicker is the blood worms. They also accept brine shrimp though not very eagerly.

·
Registered
763 Posts
ive seen them in my local aqatic center as spotted-pea puffers they look great

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just got 4 puffer's and i love them i have had some in the past but they never hurt the other fish my issue was that the other fish killed them :eek: so i guess it all depends on your fish

1 - 16 of 16 Posts