Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am considering getting 2 dwarf gourami's for my 20 gallon long tank to be the centre piece fish will 2 males be ok as i dont want them constantly picking on each other or shall i try and get a male and female pet shop only sell them in pairs you see i have plenty of plants in there?

current stock

2 swordtails 1 male 1 female young
4 red wag platys
1 male guppy
3 cherry barbs

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hi i am considering getting 2 dwarf gourami's for my 20 gallon long tank to be the centre piece fish will 2 males be ok as i dont want them constantly picking on each other or shall i try and get a male and female pet shop only sell them in pairs you see i have plenty of plants in there?

current stock

2 swordtails 1 male 1 female young
4 red wag platys
1 male guppy
3 cherry barbs
I would not get 2 males, but you could try a pair. Honestly, females are extremely uncommon in the hobby so there is not a lot of experience from which to draw.

I would get between 3 and 6 more cherry barbs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before you buy any DGs, make sure that they're not imported. Imports have a large chance of DGIV (Dwarf Gourami IridoVirus). DGIV only infects Dwarf Gouramis and I think one type of cod. It WILL infect all DGs in the tank and is ALWAYS lethal. There is NO cure. It can take a month or more to surface so give up on QTing to get rid of it. Only buy Dwarf Gouramies from a trusted mom and pop store. A 20 gallon is a little small for 2 males even with tons of hiding places. My DG is also quite shy so make sure you have plenty of hiding places. With more hiding places, the fish will feel safer and hide less :crazy:
Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply's guys if i dont get dwarf gourami's then what else would people recommend for a centrepiece type of fish with plenty of colour

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Where do you think the mom and pop shops get their fish from??

It's an issue no matter where you get them.

I'd go with honey gouramis

Reactions: kevg39

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up 2 dwarf gouramis for my 20 gallon community tank and it didnt seem like enough room as i had to separate them ....i did some research and they do not get along with males of the same kind but do well with most other community fish ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts