Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an established 10 gallon tank with 5 harlequin rasboras. On Friday, I added a male dwarf gourami. The gourami seems very happy and has been building bubble nests like crazy. However, he keeps chasing my rasboras and has them cowering in the corner of the tank.

I would consider my tank moderately planted (including floating plants) and I use indian almond leaves.

I do have a back-up plan to rehome either the dwarf gourami or the rasboras, but I would prefer to resolve the aggression if at all possible. Here are some possible solutions I've brainstormed:

1) Add a stronger filter for more surface agitation, hopefully stopping the gourami from building bubble nests that he then has to defend

2) Increase indian almond leaf dosing (right now I'm doing 1 leaf per 10 gallons) to darken the water more and hopefully make everyone feel more secure

3) Add 4-5 more rasboras (maybe pushing it stock wise, but aqadvisor says I'd still be under 100%). I'm thinking a bigger school will imbue them with confidence

I was hoping members with more experience could weigh in on these solutions or offer new ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
In my experience with Gouramis, if they have an aggressive personality you will probably not be able to change that. I've never had an aggressive Dwarf though, so I don't know for sure. I'd definitely try to add more Harlequins (around 7). I think they are far more interesting than Tetras. You never know about Gouramis, it may work, but I wouldn't trust that idea. All the mean Gouramis that I've had I had to rehome because they are too smart and too stubborn to usually change their ways!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ya harlequins need a 20 long minimum, 29 better. WAY to active. Sounds like they all want more room, which is leading to the aggression.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ya harlequins need a 20 long minimum, 29 better. WAY to active. Sounds like they all want more room, which is leading to the aggression.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasn't going to say anything about the tank size, as lots of people keep them in 10, but yeah. They are very active, very curious and playful, but if you have a fish with longer fins in a small space, they may nip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, to be fair the rasboras aren't challenging/provoking the gourami at all. The rasboras literally do not venture from their corner (other than for food), even when the gourami is off doing something else. Every so often the gourami will rush them.

I've had the rasboras for probably about a year (previously kept with a female betta. She couldn't compete with them at food time, so I moved her to her own tank...the gourami was meant to be a "centerpiece fish" replacement), and they've always seemed very happy to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update -- I added 3 more rasboras. The power dynamics changed over night. Now the rasboras are swimming all over the tank and the poor dwarf gourami is hiding in the corner (for no apparent reason, as the rasboras still aren't bothering him). I'm going to give things a few days-a week to settle down. If they don't, the rasboras are moving to a new 20G that just finished cycling.

·
Registered
193 Posts
He may be stressed out from the fast movements of the Harlequins. I'd suggest putting them in the 20, and you could also start a nice community in there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was considering some schooling fish (apparently my 8 rasboras), 1-3 platies, and 5-6 cories. I was originally going to get a dwarf gourami instead of the platies...buttttt I'm revising that. Any comments/advice on that stocking plan?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah, it's a high. I didn't have the footprint for a long. I don't think it's that many fish...

8 rasboras, 1-3 platies, 5-6 cories

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Cories will do better in a 20 long. But you can try a smaller type; jullis, pandas, ect. I would personally skip the platys (i HATE them). I would move the harlequins, dg, and than add a school of smaller cories.

Will it be planted?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah I was looking at julli cories. I do have plants, though they still have growing in to do. I'll make sure there is open sand for the cories.

But why would I put another dwarf gourami in a tank with 8 rasboras again when mine is currently freaked out? I realize there is more space, but not /that/ much more (and the 20 is not as densely planted).

I'm not crazy about the platies either, tbh, but I do want some sort of "centerpiece" fish/fishes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a centerpiece fish you could get a Bolivian Ram or German Blue Ram, I'd recommend a Bolivian because they're hardy! Were you looking at other centerpiece fish? Now would be a perfect time to ask about them about them! There are actually a pretty good list of fish that can be in a 20 gallon, that's why I want to know what you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I'd be very interested in hearing what options you know! I've only been able to identify the dwarf gourami, the ram, and the betta.

I've already had a betta in with rasboras and it didn't go well, so I don't want to go that route again.
I'm loving the DGs, but likewise...drama.
As for the ram, the fish look really awesome, but I was under the impression that they're bottom dwellers? I'm looking for a mid-top swimmer.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah I was looking at julli cories. I do have plants, though they still have growing in to do. I'll make sure there is open sand for the cories.

But why would I put another dwarf gourami in a tank with 8 rasboras again when mine is currently freaked out? I realize there is more space, but not /that/ much more (and the 20 is not as densely planted).

I'm not crazy about the platies either, tbh, but I do want some sort of "centerpiece" fish/fishes.
Because it is double the size. Right now they are all stressed out. I would put the dg in the 20 and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 35 Posts