Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've read in multiple places that if a tiger lotus bulb will not sink, it is a dud. Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I have read the same thing. I have had some in the past like that and they never produced a plant. My understanding is that if they float they are full of air. I don't know if that's true or not but it makes sense to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That has been my experience; however, it can take them a while. I bought a little pack of dry bulbs a while back and it was at least a few weeks before I saw any evidence of life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sigh. That's what I had heard, too.

I am so frustrated with aquariumplants.com, though I know some people on here have recommended them. I ordered three red tiger lotus that, according to the description, were either full plants or sprouted bulbs. What I received was six unsprouted bulbs, two of which would not even sink and the other four of which did not sprout even after a month.

I wrote aquariumplants.com, and they never replied. I called finally, and the guy I spoke with said that they had some very nice sprouted bulbs, and he would send them out to me.

Several days later I received...three unsprouted bulbs, none of which will sink. :-/ I am going to call them again, but I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I purchased two tiger lotus from aquariumpllants.com. They both had the tiniest of leaves and both are doing very well. I would insist that they send bulbs that have at least the signs of life. The bulbs I had problems with were sold in plastic bags and were truly dormant / dead. If they can't provide healthy lotus bulbs, think about plants that you like and tell them you would accept "some" of those as a substitute. You might receive a windfall of plants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts