Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marimo moss ball with my dojo loaches... or, at least, I used to. One day I came home to find the rear half of a fish protruding from the moss ball. Startled and worried that he was trapped, I reached for the marimo and he scooted out and zipped away. I examined the thing and found that they had tunneled completely through it. Over the next few weeks it became a favorite hiding place as they continued to rip it apart. It's now in multiple fragments.

Has anyone else kept marimo moss balls with dojo loaches? Is there a danger of a dojo getting trapped? I think part of the problem may have been the moss ball itself -- it might not have been getting enough light, and the inside can lose cohesion when that happens. I'm not sure.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a larger aquarium for the loaches, and it has brighter lighting. I really like moss balls and I'd like to add some, but not if it's a danger to the loaches.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Generally with those kinds of fish, if they can get in then they can get out. The moss will still grow in pieces though so it's not a total waste.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally with those kinds of fish, if they can get in then they can get out. The moss will still grow in pieces though so it's not a total waste.
Yes, they seem healthy. I transferred most of the fragments to the new aquarium to help speed the cycling, along with other plants and a filter insert and sponge from the old tank. Not as attractive as the original ball, although I've managed to roll one of the larger pieces into a mini ball; we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice about the loaches -- it was what I hoped to hear!

·
Registered
645 Posts
you can flatten out the marimo and attach it on some rocks or wood,or you can carpet with it.. it will eventually adhere to it. it looks pretty cool imo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can flatten out the marimo and attach it on some rocks or wood,or you can carpet with it.. it will eventually adhere to it. it looks pretty cool imo.
Thanks for the tip. It can be difficult to find good plant options that the loaches won't dig up. (There's only so far you can go with java ferns on rocks.) Do you think java moss and marimo could be put near each other on the same piece of wood? The contrast would be nice, but I'm not sure if the java moss would outgrow the marimo.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the java would outgrow the Marimo.

·
Registered
645 Posts
java moss and marimo act like velcro. the java moss will grow in and on the marimo. it looks messy and is a royal pain to keep in order. i have had this problem first hand. i no longer keep them in the same tank together because of this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.