Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was told my tank had just about cycled and was ready for some "real" fish yesterday, so I went out and bought a Dog Face Puffer. I had to return the Blue Devils the pet store initially sold me because everyone said they would not play nice. It was kind of sad to get rid of the fish who had been with me since the beginning.

Anyhow, the Dog Face Puffer is so cute - it looks like a dog! It's been behaving strangly, though... it shakes and then rams it's body into the sand, ornaments, etc. It does it sporadically. It just throws its body into things. Also, after I moved around some ornaments, it began scraping it's teeth against the glass, making an audible noise, presumably trying to escape... I didn't realize a fish could have so much personality!

Anyhow, is this type of behavior normal? Is there anything that can or should be done?

Thank you,
Michael

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Michael,
Scientific name of your puffer: Arothron nigropunctatus

It's also known as hushpuppy puffer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just added my dogface yesterday and he was HUNGRY! :twisted: He originally went after all the three lil fish I added during the cycling of the tank. After he chased them for a bit he went over and took a chunk out of a snail. After this madness I decided even though I had just added him I had to feed him. He ate like he had been starving. I noticed after he got settled in last night he too was acting a bit crazy! He would rub against the rocks and it was almost like he was putting on a show. I noticed in the back of the tank he could see his reflection and he kept looking at himself. It occured to me that maybe he was showing off. Maybe he was looking to "get lucky" :lol: This fish is awesome and I am looking forward to watching him for years to come even if he is a lil wierd at times !

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
He also could think it is another puffer in the tank, and is trying to show dormancy in the tank. My yellow tang was like that all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts