Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a false julii catfish and introduced him (her?) into my tank. He's behaving pretty normally, but I read on a few aquarium sites that they are a schooling fish. Is it necessary to purchase more, and if so, how many? I have 1 pearl gourami, 1 dwarf gourami, and 3 zebra danios, also in my 15 gallon tank; how much room do I have for a new school?

Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
check out the references section regarding your fish. As far as I know cories are more comfortable with about 5. Not sure how big your other fish will get. As a general rule, you look at how many inches each of your fish might grow and add them all together. For each inch of fish you need one gallon. Cories are quiet fish and enjoy the company of same type.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
All types of cories need schools, yes. They are sensitive, social little fish and get dangerously lonely. Some have been known to die from it, so you will want to get him/her some friends of the same type. They can school with other types of cories, but in some cases the other groups may kick them out. At once point I was keeping schwartzi and emeralds together, both had groups of four or more, and they pretty much stuck to their own groups except one of my emeralds hung out with the schwartzi, but the emerald group wouldn't let the others hang out.

Anywho, to answer your question directly: Yes.
Room: Not enough because you already have a dwarf gourami in there WITH an unfinished school of zebra danios who need a larger tank and school as well. It's too full if you fix the groups, you'd want a 25+ gal for them. Mainly because both danios and cories are active and like space to zoom about, AND need groups. Danios aren't all that small either, when full grown. Not in a group anyways. Gourami's like space, and though dwarf gourami's are more peaceful(usually, they can be aggressive), they may get nasty if they don't have proper space to themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts