Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Does He Have ICK?

6K views 41 replies 5 participants last post by  musho3210 
#1 ·
I was looking at my Plattys and I Noticed This One Fish had Some White Stuff on him and I dont know What it is.
Also its only in one spot as of right now.
If it is Ick Then Im Going to Put Him Down.
Cause I Dont Want EveryThing Else Dying Off.

It's Not ThAT Clear But He Wont Stop Moving.

Its Right Back Before the Back Fin.

See less See more
#2 ·
It definately looks like fungus! :shock2:

if it was white spot, then there would be more than 1 spot and it wouldn't be that big....

i would move him to a Quarantine tank ( if you have one ) and treat him with fungal meds from the shop....

Hope this helps! :D

#4 ·
It won't hurt the other fish if you put it in the tank. ( it would probably help the other fish from getting it :lol: )

i have done it before and it didn't affect my fish, just made my water a little bit dirty and cloudy.....so i would suggest doing a 50% water change after the fish get cured... :D

hope this helps :D

#12 ·
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PUT HIM DOWN.

FIrst things first, the disease will be away from the fish, but it will still be in the tank whcih means the other inhabitants will still have a chance of catching it. Second, putting down a fish is a cowards way out. And third of all, it looks like fungus and fungus isnt to hard to cure. Just buy some medication at your fish store (there common and not expensive) and treat accordingly as the bottle says. Make sure you remove activated carbon while treating a tank with medication

#20 ·
hmm, if it is growing on te fish then it is probably fungus. If it is the color of the fish, its probably stress or another disease. I think ammonia burns burned the skin causing an infection where fungus started to grow. Treat with primafix and if there are cuts and infections then treat with melafix as well.

#21 ·
That doesn't look like fungus to me. Fungus is a cottony growth and I don't see it looking like cotton.:squint: More like columnaris to me. Medications for external bacterial problems should help. Pls do it in another tank. You have a newt and you don't know how the medications are just going to affect him.:shake:

#22 ·
he should move the newt in case the other fish have the disease, but arent showing signs. Treat the fish with primafix and melafix then since blues diagnosis was bacterial not fungal. Also anti-bacteria medicines can kill your beneicial bacteria causeing you to cycle again. Since your getting a 10 gallon, move your newt there (temprorarily) and treat the main tank, also move the fry since they are still weak

#24 ·
Matt said:
so what meds?
I used Sera Baktopur to treat against columnaris. What is your temperature? Don't increase it as columnaris seem to progress at such temps. Before you treat your fish, be sure to remove your newt or rather, get a new tank and treat your platy there. I would not risk trying to treat the main tank if I were you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.