Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my Plattys and I Noticed This One Fish had Some White Stuff on him and I dont know What it is.
Also its only in one spot as of right now.
If it is Ick Then Im Going to Put Him Down.
Cause I Dont Want EveryThing Else Dying Off.

It's Not ThAT Clear But He Wont Stop Moving.

Its Right Back Before the Back Fin.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It definately looks like fungus! :shock2:

if it was white spot, then there would be more than 1 spot and it wouldn't be that big....

i would move him to a Quarantine tank ( if you have one ) and treat him with fungal meds from the shop....

Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
It won't hurt the other fish if you put it in the tank. ( it would probably help the other fish from getting it :lol: )

i have done it before and it didn't affect my fish, just made my water a little bit dirty and cloudy.....so i would suggest doing a 50% water change after the fish get cured... :D

hope this helps :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Um...i think so because i think it is a bacterial disease....

·
Registered
765 Posts
why? he can still recover....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its gonna spread to my Betta, newt, Adult Plattys, and Platty Fry.
I Rather do That.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PUT HIM DOWN.

FIrst things first, the disease will be away from the fish, but it will still be in the tank whcih means the other inhabitants will still have a chance of catching it. Second, putting down a fish is a cowards way out. And third of all, it looks like fungus and fungus isnt to hard to cure. Just buy some medication at your fish store (there common and not expensive) and treat accordingly as the bottle says. Make sure you remove activated carbon while treating a tank with medication

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i'll find a medication company for you, i saw one at the store the other day but i forget its name. Activated carbon is in your filter (the bag with the black coal like stuff) just remove the bag but let the filter keep running so there is still oxygen in the tank.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, if it is growing on te fish then it is probably fungus. If it is the color of the fish, its probably stress or another disease. I think ammonia burns burned the skin causing an infection where fungus started to grow. Treat with primafix and if there are cuts and infections then treat with melafix as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts