Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bottle of flourish comprehensive I have had since about the summer of 2011 when I had my 50 gallon planted. I have kept the bottle in the fridge since I had bought it, remember reading on here sometime back about doing that. Still have about half a bottle left and wondering if it could still be used? Looked on the bottle and did not see any type of shelf life printed on the bottle out label. Thanks :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do not believe it expires. If so it would have a shelf life on the bottle. It's just a mixture of elements and nutrients for plant growth.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
That is what I would expect too. But, you can send an email to Seachem on their site, and they are very good at responding within a day (usually). If you do, let us know their response.

Byron.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have a bottle of flourish comprehensive I have had since about the summer of 2011 when I had my 50 gallon planted. I have kept the bottle in the fridge since I had bought it, remember reading on here sometime back about doing that. Still have about half a bottle left and wondering if it could still be used? Looked on the bottle and did not see any type of shelf life printed on the bottle out label. Thanks :)
u mention sotreing in the fridge? anyway you can remeber why? im curious ^^

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I keep mine in the fridge 24/7. The only time I take mine out is when I go to dose my tanks. When I am done dosing I put it right back in the fridge.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
On the label Seachem suggest refrigeration. One (or more) of our members have questioned this with Seachem, and been told that it really doesn't matter. I see it now says on their website, "Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required." This sort of annoys me; there must be a reason why they recommend refrigeration. :roll:

Edit. I do the same as Boredomb, except I keep mine in the wine fridge which is cool but not as cold as the main fridge. I tend to use two 2 liter jugs a year, roughly, so that means they are in the fridge after opening for 6-8 months.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I've been wondering this myself lately. . .I've had the same bottle for a bit over a year now, and my plants are still growing, so it still seems to be working well enough. It seems like the kind of thing that you'd want to replace every year, regardless, but there isn't an expiration date, so. . .*shrugs* I've also kept mine in the 'fridge for no other reason than thats what the bottle told me to do, lol. Like Byron said, there must have been a reason for them to have originally recommended it. . .

Anyway, I've sent a message to the company to see what their recommendation is, I'll let you know when I hear back.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Okay, got my reply from the company on both shelf life and refrigeration. . .
"Hello Jes, Thank you for the email and for using our products. Flourish does not really expire, however, it does contain some organic elements that could potentially degrade over a long period of time. If you plan to have the bottle for more than 2 years, we recommend storing it in the refrigerator so that it will remain 100% viable. It would not harm anything, it just might not be as concentrated after a long period of time. I hope this information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. Product Support"
So there you go - from the source, and we were right! :-D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, got my reply from the company on both shelf life and refrigeration. . .

So there you go - from the source, and we were right! :-D
Missed your last post before I posted :oops: good to know, thanks for sharing the reply back, I am sure I will be getting a similar email from them sometime soon.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks both of you for taking the time to email them.

I always kept it in the fridge but now I can keep it with the other tank supplies. It will make life just that much easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts