Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading that horizontal aquariums are best for fish because they naturally swim back and forth more than they would do the same in a vertical water column, but do red cherry shrimp have a preference?

I want to do a shrimp-only tank, but I don't want to use up too much space on my desk (and I haven't got many other places to put a tank) so I was thinking about getting a tank or a large glass vase that is taller than it is wide and wanted to know if this is fine for shrimp.

The aquarium set-up I'm currently thinking of is:
  • between 2.5gal and 5gal
  • java moss, flame moss, anacharis, and maybe a dwarf lily
  • sand bottom or sand + glass pebbles or gravel
  • sponge filter
  • a cave or two, driftwood, or something
  • a small heater (anyone have suggestions for a good one?)
  • lighting is my desk-lamp.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I recall reading that horizontal aquariums are best for fish because they naturally swim back and forth more than they would do the same in a vertical water column, but do red cherry shrimp have a preference?

I want to do a shrimp-only tank, but I don't want to use up too much space on my desk (and I haven't got many other places to put a tank) so I was thinking about getting a tank or a large glass vase that is taller than it is wide and wanted to know if this is fine for shrimp.

The aquarium set-up I'm currently thinking of is:
  • between 2.5gal and 5gal
  • java moss, flame moss, anacharis, and maybe a dwarf lily
  • sand bottom or sand + glass pebbles or gravel
  • sponge filter
  • a cave or two, driftwood, or something
  • a small heater (anyone have suggestions for a good one?)
  • lighting is my desk-lamp.
shrimp dont care what the shape is. their not needy. lots of good hiding places. your plant list is good for them as well. looks like you did some research! :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you go tall rather than long, make sure they have driftwood to climb on so they have plenty of places to explore and find food. Shrimp really enjoy having a lot of things to climb on. You may also look at adding floating plants, as shrimp love to browse among the roots. Frogbit is a really good option, here.

I'd also get the largest tank you can, as (unless you get all females or all males) shrimp breed quickly, so you want all the extra room you can :)

Hydor is a good brand, and their heaters are small.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also, stick with sand, it's easier for the shrimp to "groom" for food. Driftwood is a big plus.

Stemmed plants will help with water quality, cabomba is a great choice. And they love moss balls. Algae wafers (tiny pieces only!) and blanched veggies to supplement feeding

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up getting a Bladet vase from Ikea. It's like 4 gallons-ish. ((well, I calculated 4.6 but that was without accounting for the sand and the tapered design)).

Working on putting everything in. The driftwood is in a bucket right now.

Though I think I might not have rinsed the sand enough because it's rather murky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts