Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I just had it down out of laziness. What you say about the water level is completely true but the darker water still makes the tank darker over all. Which also makes sense.

But now you've got me wondering if I should keep it lower for the frogbit. I actually just got it yesterday so I'm not really sure what it needs. Does it need more air? Or is it the light being so close that I should worry about. I have the water just to the very bottom of the rim. And how do you know if it's real or not?

I have never had luck with frogbit. This shipped in a day since it was from someone in my state, and for the first time for me, still had the roots attached so I'm hoping these will make it. They usually arrive in poor condition, but also have had a much longer shipping time.
Posted via Mobile Device
The leaves are much the same whatever the species. When it flowers you see the difference. This is how I found out. After I bought what was sold to me as "Amazon Frogbit," within a couple weeks it flowered. And I wrote up the profile, and took a photo of the little flower. Fine. Then some fellow from the California Agriculture department sent Mike (Admin then) an email, pointing out that this plant was a noxious weed and should not be promoted.:shock: Mike left it with me to sort out.

I dug around more, and came across some photos of Amazon Frogbit flowers which were very different from mine. My Frogbit flowered, several times, so there was no uncertainty as to the flowers, but finally I tracked down that the flowers I had were those of the temperate species. So I assume I do not have true Amazon Frogbit. I removed the photo of the flowers in the profile, but as the text and other photos are the Amazon species, left that alone. But I did add a blurb about the temperate invasive plant.

As for conditions, I would just try it and see, with the water level up to the frame. My floating plants have never "burnt" from the light in any of my tanks, and with Frogbit, Water Sprite, Pennywort, etc. True tropical plants need warm moist air, so that shouldn't be a problem. I suspect the issue is the temperate Frogbit.

Byron.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ahhh OK. Hopefully I get a chance to find out what mine is. I haven't seen my floaters scortch before.. I've had pennywort floating as well. I think most of my floaters didn't like the amount of surface agitation I had and could just never recover from shipping. Hopefully these do.. I know if I lower the water level, the agitation will increase..

All the leaves are still green, firm, and plump today so here's hoping! I may move some over to my newt tank as it currently has no water movement, and the light is much further.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 22 of 22 Posts