Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Do I have to many fish and what should I do about it

946 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  FishkeeperBlake
I was wondering if I have to many fish or not. I have had my tank for about a year now but recently I had to add fish from my family’s 20 gallon tank to my 10 gallon tank do to a cross country move. (All the fish survived a three day drive) :)
I have 4 neon tetras, 6 black neon tetras, 5 serpae tetras although I can’t find one, and 5 yellow and red von rio tetras. I am thinking about remodeling the tank for a bit more room and a cleaner look. Any ideas on what to do to to help the fish have more space and keep a cleaner tank.
Pet supply Fish supply Wood Window Art
Sorry for the bad lighting the lights went out in the tank and I am planning on replacing them in the near future. ;)
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
With out putting filtration into the calculator I like to use for baseline stocking your tank is at 137% stocking this number can change with more filtration. You could add live plants and keep on top of your water changes my calculator says 48% a week this would change with more filtration and the calculator does not take plants into account if you have a way to test TDS and Nitrates you can determine when you need to complete water change more accurately
As a general guideline many fish keepers follow is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water , in a properly filtered and maintained aquarium.
Ok thanks for the advice! I will try and clean my tank more often and test for the ammonium levels as well.
Hi,
Probably a few too many for 10 gallon. You don't really need to clean the tank, just change the water weekly, 2 gallons out, 2 in (de-chlorine) . If you do that you should be fine. Clean filter as needed. But I think you have a perfect excuse to buy another tank. :)
Reactions: 1
I was wondering if I have to many fish or not. I have had my tank for about a year now but recently I had to add fish from my family’s 20 gallon tank to my 10 gallon tank do to a cross country move. (All the fish survived a three day drive) :)
I have 4 neon tetras, 6 black neon tetras, 5 serpae tetras although I can’t find one, and 5 yellow and red von rio tetras. I am thinking about remodeling the tank for a bit more room and a cleaner look. Any ideas on what to do to to help the fish have more space and keep a cleaner tank. View attachment 845451 Sorry for the bad lighting the lights went out in the tank and I am planning on replacing them in the near future. ;)
Honestly, I say if you add a sponge filter and some live plants, and maybe get rid of some of the fake plants, you would be fine. As long as you do a weekly 40-70% water change
1 - 6 of 6 Posts