Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for making this contest! Now I'm motivated to finish the project I started last month. :-D
I'm from NYC living in studio and I wanted another aquarium in addition to my 5g. I wanted an aquarium for the corner of my studio and thought this IKEA vase would be perfect. Who knew I would be making an aquarium from IKEA vase, but that is what I'm doing... I'll post some pictures of supplies I used. I should be done soon (just waiting for couple of more items) and will post the rest.

IKEA BLADET VASE (I GOT THIS FOR $15 FROM CRAIGSLIST)
Diameter: 10 ¾ "
Height: 25 ½ "

IKEA BJURÖN PLANT STAND

DEEP DOME

MOGUL SOCKET

CFL FROM HOME DEPOT

WIRE

FLEXIBLE EXTENSION PIPE

MOGUL SOCKET ATTACHED TO FLEXIBLE EXTENSION PIPE

THREADED PIPE

CLAMP

PLUG

IKEA LACK SIDE TABLE (ONLY USED THE TOP, NO LEGS)

PENN PLAX 2WAY GANG VALVE

10G TETRA WHISPER AIR PUMP (LOVE THIS ONE, BETTER THAN RENA!!)

IKEA TÄNDA (TIMER, I'M TOO LAZY TO TURN THE LIGHTS ON. :-D)

TOP VIEW

FRONT VIEW

SIDE VIEW

CLOSE UP #1

CLOSE UP #2

CLOSE UP #3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is all for now, I have great plan to hide the airline tube and I'll be replacing the current filter. Don't like it very much... Hope to have more photos by early next week.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Whoa.... that is so unique. How much water does it hold? What are those little fishies you have in there?

·
Registered
306 Posts
its between 8 and 10 gallons depending on how big the base glass is

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa.... that is so unique. How much water does it hold? What are those little fishies you have in there?
Right now I have close to 4g water, not sure about the maximum. I would imagine like 5g... Proud father of white cloud minnows :-D.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Thumbs up to you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
very interesting take on a simple vase =)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
yeah it's a buterfly betta

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after couple of weeks of thinking on how to hide the airline tubes, I've finally come to conclusion. At first, I thought using java moss was the answer, but I'm lazy and don't want to deal with that! While at the flower district here in Manhattan, I found this really long bamboo (about 15 feet and little more than 1 inch in diameter). I asked the guy to cut for me every 28 inch, and came home with 6 1/2 bamboos.

Pics below...

I had to make the holes inside for the airline tubes. Good thing I had my threaded pipe
and banged it in with hammer.

Cut the top to my taste

I'll do some test and more pics to come... Thanks. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think using bamboo to hide the tubing is a great idea!

Thanks Aunt Kymmie! I hope the end result will be good! You know, sometimes you have a great idea, but when you do it and just looks terrible! It ends up becoming a bad idea, but you learn... =)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts