Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone...great site....brand new here, so hope the below doesnt strike anyone as silly, stupid, or overly discussed....ok, I have a 125g planted tank. All plants attached to wood and/or rock...with smooth small substrate. All plants are sturdy and hardy (mostly anubia) and inexpensive....plenty of hiding spots and hidden caves...plus tank has been established successfully for over a year.

Just intro (this morning) five very small jd's to the tank...as they mature and pair, I plan to re-locate three...leaving the pair. As the couple will be, I assume, rather territorial...can anyone suggest a appropriate dithering fish to add? Would prefer something colorful, smaller (but not a meal size), and schooling....tetras, barbs, danino?... I currently have six otos (maybe too small)....and a couple of mini plecos (that will stay small)...Also fully expect plant casualties...and have plenty of smooth, slate like rock too....

Thank you...and again, great site! Cheers! -mike

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

To your questions, I think you will find the answers in our profile of the fish, click the shaded name Jack Dempsey. I'll leave it at that, rather than repeat what is there.

Byron.

Reactions: Bongox3

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Byron for the quick response....I looked at that and other jd post prior to typing mine in...while not a community fish in the least, it was my impression that many large and medium cichlids can be keep with smaller (just not too small) faster schooling type fish successfully....in the past I've seen it done with oscars, wondering if at all poss with jd...if given the right environment...wrote in to hear if such an idea is folly or if anyone has tried with any luck...may even opt to a larger tank....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I would give giant danios a try. Perhaps them and a school of tiger barbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you...I really like tiger barbs, but think the size of the giant danio would work better....someone also mentioned a large barb with on black spot to it's rear...but don't know it's name or spec needs...tiger barbs are awesome, but mine seemed to go become rather still once the lights went out and I could just picture a jack picking one off now and again....thank u again for the response....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
That would be a filament barb - the one with the spot at the base of the tail.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you...and yep that's them....they do look rather nice...and per the profile very active swimmers...do u have any experience with them?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I know they get pretty big - seen them in the store and in a friends tank. I think they are a goo choice for a 6 foot tank - wouldn't keep then in less.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you again jaysee...went to a local fish store out here and saw them....they're really quite beautiful...probably gonna go with these unless there is an issue with them and s. American cichlids...gotta research them a bit....but I would imagine a group of them swimming together would be lovely...actually rather stunning...thanks for the intel...if I ever figure out how to upload photos I'd like to hear what ever advice ur willing to share...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'm sure that they are stunning in a group in a large tank. Unfortunately my friend has a Noah's ark themed tank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha ha ha...read this on duty and laughed out loud, couldn't respond till now....so, does this tank have the ark and miniature animals or is it more like what could have gone wrong, like it sank? FYI buying the barbs this week....very excited!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
No, Noah's ark theme means 2 of these, 2 of those, 2 of this, 2 of that.... 2 of way too many species crammed into one tank ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhhhh....now I'm laughing out loud at myself....feeling kinda dumb right now!!! Guess I better start learning the lingo before posting ... Thanks for letting me know....too funny...my apologies to ur friend.... Say, to avoid a ark theme, how many species generally are acceptable in a 120?......just curious....again thanks...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
That's not really lingo - It's just what I call it :)

I just updated my signature with a list of what all are in my tanks. I have quite a few in my 125. How many species can go in a 120 is dependent on the species ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saw ur aquarium...beautiful fish....love the video of the three loaches...!!! Still trying to figure out how to post a still of my tank...let alone a video....I'm afraid I'm of the "pong" and atari generation....not so computer savvy....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Just saw ur aquarium...beautiful fish....love the video of the three loaches...!!! Still trying to figure out how to post a still of my tank...let alone a video....I'm afraid I'm of the "pong" and atari generation....not so computer savvy....

Thank you - it's from last year though.... time to udpate.

If you know where the pictures are on your computer, it is easy to post them. Below the "quick reply" box, you'll see a button that says "go advanced". Clicking that takes you to the full reply screen. If you scroll down you will see a section headed "additional options". In that section is a button for "manage attachments". That opens up a window that will allow you to upload pics by browsing for them. After you have selected a picture, you click on "upload". Then you "Submit reply"

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Looks healthy with all that green! Is that a wisteria forest?

The best way to post videos is to upload them to youtube and then copy and paste the URL (address).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest....I have no idea...back then I just experimented with numerous plants and different c02 / fert setups....was my first attempt at a planted tank....in the past I generally had either large cichlids like oscars or, later Africans, ...so mostly rock formations with little plant life....so after many wilted/weathered plants and numerous algae blossom breakouts, I think I'm beginning to get some what of a handle...I want to start a new tank, region specific mimicking the habitat of the area....gotta make sure my better half is ok with it first, as (I'm sure u know) once started it's hard to pay attention to anything else...:shock:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah, I am not into plants. The only reason why I think I can identify the wisteria is because I have some. I have a few plants that manage to survive, without my help. And a TON of java moss.

Once the sun goes down I'm going to make an updated video.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts