Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 11 neon tetras and I have one that is missing part of his caudal fin and has white spots all over him. He also is missing the whole front of his face I don't know whether I should euthanize him or try to remedy the situation in some way.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I think I place this in the wrong forum

Hey, administrator please move this to fish diseases forum.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
IMO, when there's something wrong with one fish in a school - GET IT OUT OF THERE. If you don't have the ability to separate and quarantine, then you should cull. That or risk losing them all. Some people like to treat all the fish, but I'm not one of them. I don't like to subject fish to harsh medications if I don't have to. Now if several of your fish were experiencing a problem, THEN I would say treat them all.

Disease and bullying often go hand in hand - the stress of bullying usually leads to disease. Tetras are pretty nippy with themselves though, so it's important to keep an eye on them for developing health problems. When I notice an outcast, I cull immediately. There's a reason the other fish have cast it out of the group, and I don't want to wait for some disease to set in.

Reactions: Sacksteder kid

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 10- gallon and a 1-gallon hospital tank I could use. What should I do for a treatment.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
10 gallon, and I don't really know. I'm not one to waste resources on such cheap fish.

I know it's hard but a clearer photo might help in someone identifying the problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some more pictures. It is very hard because the pics blur easily. hopefully they are clear enough to show. I moved 4 neon tetras to a temporary hospital tank until I find out what to do. Should I put any meds into the main tank to cut out any free-swimming bacteria.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I’m gonna have to bow out at this point - I don’t even know what direction to point you in. I will say though, that neon tetra disease is a disease that mostly (maybe entirely) affect tetras, and is no joke. If neon tetra disease is suspected, best to cull any fish you have the SLIGHTEST doubt about, in order to stay ahead of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, jaysee is right. You do not want the other fish in the school to get sick, and neon tetras are not worth the money to try to treat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're very right!

I'm afraid I didn't respond quickly enough. The original fish that started out with the sores is to far gone to save so I had to euthanize him. Sadly three others have nipping or fin rot or something going on with their caudal fins. I moved them to a hospital 10-gallon tank. I'm keeping the temperature very warm(79-80) to speed up the bacteria's life cycle. I'm feeding them geltek's tetracycline Medication that fish eat. Hopefully this isn't spread of the disease. I am planning to immediately move any neons that show any fin damage or scale damage to the hospital tank. I'm hoping that my 7 remaining healthy tetras will not contract the disease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts