Tropical Fish Keeping banner

discus vs tetras

13K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  Lupin 
#1 ·
i cant figure out if i want discus for my 55 or tetras. i think i can handle discus i all keep my tank clean .of course i well add them at the right time. so some one help me plzz blue zeb anybody lol :D ( i heard carbon filter aren't good for dicus is this true?)

#27 ·
That sounds fine with me.
You lazy man. :yourock: Lucky enough to obtain a battery-operated gravel vac. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Discus Madness in Glen Ridge.

I would like to add, there are a couple of good reasons I prefer going to a local breeder than buying online.

1. They normally have certain tanks with certain size discus that sell for, an example, $20 (USD). If they're all nice and healthy with good appetites, look for the biggest ones. Allot of the times, they don't have the time to move the bigger discus out, into the other tanks to sell at a higher price.
2. If they know you are a beginner, they would normally try to help you out. They may help you figure out how to pick discus. They may give you samples and sell their own beefheart mix. Making beefheart is messy, luckily, a local discus breeder does it for me and I just buy the package from him.

#32 ·
No kidding. And thanks, Blue :) I was at work tonight at the fish store where I work part time, and I saw a 30 gallon hexagon for $90.Canadian (about $65 US), and I also get a discount, so seriously thinking about obtaining yet ANOTHER aquarium; I think it is a good deal. I just need a stand for it (will purchase a filter, heater and substrate also, of course). :wink: And perhaps I can try Discus! And........will even try "cycling" the tank without the 'chemicals', which will be a big first for me. I have always used the biological supplements, with no fish loss, but since joining the Forum have discovered that supplements like Cycle are not for the fish.

#33 ·
blue_gourami45 said:
No kidding. And thanks, Blue :) I was at work tonight at the fish store where I work part time, and I saw a 30 gallon hexagon for $90.Canadian (about $65 US), and I also get a discount, so seriously thinking about obtaining yet ANOTHER aquarium; I think it is a good deal. I just need a stand for it (will purchase a filter, heater and substrate also, of course). :wink: And perhaps I can try Discus! And........will even try "cycling" the tank without the 'chemicals', which will be a big first for me. I have always used the biological supplements, with no fish loss, but since joining the Forum have discovered that supplements like Cycle are not for the fish.
:blink: You'll need 55 gallons minimum for 4-6 discus, not 30 gallons.
With 30 gallons, only a pair may fit but it still is not advisable as the pair will only end up bullying each other and perhaps, stunting their growth due to limited size.

#36 ·
What prices did they quote you?

Some species of discus can be more expensive.

You can also join simplydiscus.com and order discus online. There are sponsors on there, which are usually breeders. They normally give discounts to members, PLUS will usually help you out, and usually have a guarantee on shipment.

#40 ·
joeshmoe said:
for a 2in they were from 35.50 to 60.00
Did they say, which type of fish?

joeshmoe said:
1 more Q think i can get away with changeing the water once a week and useing the vac after the eat
?
Basically, you just need to feed often, then suck up the uneaten food and fish waste after about an hour or 2, then replace the water you sucked out. When I do it at times, I basically remove about 20%-30% of water, which is basically like a water change. Then weekly, I do about 30%-40% water change.

joeshmoe said:
i like this thing right here there pretty cool and cheap but the only thing is that i dont like the idea of shiping fish
I don't like shipped fish either.

You could do a search in your area for any cichlid clubs. There maybe some people who have discus, but have bred their fish, but do not really qualify themselves as a breeder. Basically, if someone has 8 or more discus in one tank, the fish may eventually breed.

#44 ·
joeshmoe said:
lol ok ok 1 MORE Q what does mixed discus mean? cuz there very cheap
Mixed strains I suppose. Show-quality discus don't come in cheap.
trreherd said:
how large do cory cats get?
Maximum size of one species which is Corydoras aeneus=6-7 cm
Panda cories are usually 3-4 cm.

#46 ·
joeshmoe said:
i thought it ment thell pick the color for you and not tell you cuz just read the reveiw and it said how one guy a red confetii <if thats how you spell it
Different strain is still different color, of course.
Can't understand the rest of your sentences.:crazy:
"Confetti"<-spelling :brow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.