Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13,247 Posts
Ah..you know, Joe, I'm only interested with diamond tetras as the tankmates for discus. Add cardinal tetras to that and I'll drool.:love::crazy:

· Registered
13,247 Posts
No Cobalt Blue Discus? :eek:mg:
Nice plan though.:)

· Registered
13,247 Posts
blue_gourami45 said:
I don't know the answer to your last question, but have to say I am surprised to read about Discus being kept with tetras. Although I know very little about discus fish, are they not cichlids? I suppose if it is alright to keep them with tetras then they must be non-aggressive. Also, I know they are very gorgeous fish (the Discus); are they not picky as well, re: heat, ph and such? Just wondering :) Would love to have some but have not been willing to sacrafice the $$ for them, as they are quite an 'elite' fish and I know they do not come cheaply.
Hi blue_gourami.
You'll need a 55 gallons minimum for 6 discus. Discus are cichlids, yes but they are far less aggressive than some other cichlids.
They are not as delicate as you think. I have always thought about that but when I decided to keep them, it was actually the other way around. As long as you maintain the tank well, you won't have problems keeping discus.:)
They'll need a temp of 28-30 to thrive well. I must admit I don't use heater anymore because I live in the tropics and the heater, instead of help, killed several of my tetras.
Discus will adapt to your water stats so pH is nothing to worry about.
You'll need to vary the food menu as they receive different nutrients at that. The same applies to other fish.:)

· Registered
13,247 Posts
joeshmoe said:
Thanks for the help guys! I was beging to think that im not fit for discus but blue said there not as hard as every body says. I think I can do it
Joe, it's not that bad to try. Anybody else can try as long as you can maintain the tank well.
And don't believe anything the books and sites say that discus is hard. You'll soon learn that it's just a reverse.

· Registered
13,247 Posts
joeshmoe said:
ok three things: do need four discus for them not to fight? should i keep other fish with them and do i need to clean the tan every day?!
You don't necessarily need to clean daily. Every other day is ok. It really depends on how heavily stocked your tank is.

Yes. You'll need 4 discus to prevent bullying. If they mature and 2 pair up, then you'll see what happens next when they bully the last one(which has no pair/mate).

You can keep them with other fish. I find that better than keeping them by themselves as it makes them more secured. Heaven knows my discus are chasing even my small pencilfish just to eat them. :dunno:

· Registered
13,247 Posts
That sounds fine with me.
You lazy man. :yourock: Lucky enough to obtain a battery-operated gravel vac. :thumbsup:

· Registered
13,247 Posts
blue_gourami45 said:
No kidding. And thanks, Blue :) I was at work tonight at the fish store where I work part time, and I saw a 30 gallon hexagon for $90.Canadian (about $65 US), and I also get a discount, so seriously thinking about obtaining yet ANOTHER aquarium; I think it is a good deal. I just need a stand for it (will purchase a filter, heater and substrate also, of course). :wink: And perhaps I can try Discus! And........will even try "cycling" the tank without the 'chemicals', which will be a big first for me. I have always used the biological supplements, with no fish loss, but since joining the Forum have discovered that supplements like Cycle are not for the fish.
:blink: You'll need 55 gallons minimum for 4-6 discus, not 30 gallons.
With 30 gallons, only a pair may fit but it still is not advisable as the pair will only end up bullying each other and perhaps, stunting their growth due to limited size.

· Registered
13,247 Posts
joeshmoe said:
lol ok ok 1 MORE Q what does mixed discus mean? cuz there very cheap
Mixed strains I suppose. Show-quality discus don't come in cheap.
trreherd said:
how large do cory cats get?
Maximum size of one species which is Corydoras aeneus=6-7 cm
Panda cories are usually 3-4 cm.

· Registered
13,247 Posts
joeshmoe said:
i thought it ment thell pick the color for you and not tell you cuz just read the reveiw and it said how one guy a red confetii <if thats how you spell it
Different strain is still different color, of course.
Can't understand the rest of your sentences.:crazy:
"Confetti"<-spelling :brow:

· Registered
13,247 Posts
trreherd said:
are corry cats the weird looking fish i saw at the fish store with there mouths pointhin down?
I'll also refer you to another site.
A thread in another section. :brow:

Besides the cories and loaches mentioned by Eddie, you won't be surprised either that loricariids(plecs) have mouths pointing downward.

If you want to keep cories, be sure to see that your gravel is not sharp as this also damages their delicate barbels. But this is not always the case. Even poor water quality will also cause the disintegration of barbels.
Fortunately, the barbels will grow back once water conditions are right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.