Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

Chris really likes the "looks of" the discus in the image below.

Will these discus grow and enjoy themselves in my community aquarium?

GH is tyically less than 5.
PH is typicaly neutral to slightlty acidic.
Temperature is typically 78F to 80F.
Nitratates are typically less than 15.

The 2nd image is a photograph of my tank with the "air turned on".

TR

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Jones.:wave:

Your tank looks a little too small to fit 4 discus.:blueworry: I wouldn't buy one though as discus love the company of their own or even two as two would have dire consequences. As they are cichlids, they might easily squabble with each other.

P.S. Thread moved to Cichlids section.:)

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue said:
Hi Jones.:wave:

Your tank looks a little too small to fit 4 discus.:blueworry: I wouldn't buy one though as discus love the company of their own or even two as two would have dire consequences. As they are cichlids, they might easily squabble with each other.

P.S. Thread moved to Cichlids section.:)
Folks:

The tank is 110G, 30" high, planted with 7 angels (and other community fish).

I anticipate "offloading" 3 angels to a retirement community recreation room aquarium.

"Do you reckon" with the typical water parameters and temperature which I cited that 4 dicus would "do good", grow and be "happy fish"?

TR

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discus would not be to happy with that much disruption, keep the water movement to a staeady flow.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I must be hallucinating.:question: Your angelfish's size makes the tank look smaller.:mrgreen:

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue said:
I must be hallucinating.:question: Your angelfish's size makes the tank look smaller.:mrgreen:
TY

Yep: I raised these from dime size.
The large black angel is approximately 6 months old and the zebras are approximately 4 months old.

1) My home made mixtures "really work"!

2) I purchased the 30" high in order to be able to raise angels and discus to full maturity.

3) I have only purchased "juvies" for all my fish as I really enjoy "watching them grow up"!

3) Have some questions for you, Ce and others but need to get ready to go to the office and will post when I get home.

TR

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size discus do you plan to buy?
These are 2" but I would prefer quarter size.
http://www.somethingsphishy.com/pro...d=145&osCsid=6dea7732d394ab5f02e79c088d061ebc

I know of a person who was successful in growing out discus in a planted tank, but he was the only success as far as I know of.
If I decide to proceed (which is doubtful now) I hope that I will be the 2nd.

since discus can be expensive.
The price of these discus pale in insignificance to the overall cost of my "money pit" (Chris also said "I want" which is very, very rare).

Keep in mind, angels are much more aggressive eaters than discus, even for young or juveniles.
I overfeed but have a significant quantity of biological and mechanical filtration and perform approximately 10% daily WC's.

Discus would not be to happy with that much disruption, keep the water movement to a staeady flow.
I typically do not "turn on the air" except for brief periods in order to enjoy the bubbles.

OK Folks (some of you will know what this means "I know that I sound like Zeb").
Whadda still think?

Yall have all come up with good thoughts but my original concerns were the GH, most of which is KH, and the lower temperatures (thinking of which a thread may be in order).

TR

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey, back from vacation and sent you a pm.
:D

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alexis said:
Hey, back from vacation and sent you a pm.
:D
Folks:

This is 3 semester hours of graduate course and I am therefore posting it.

Alexis said:
Hi, I just got back from vacation.

Input, here we go I will go in a list since I think better that way---

Your water conditions are perfectly fine as long as the juveniles you buy are tank raised in "normal" tap water. If you need a breeder, I have a GREAT one.

I would never put juveniles in with Angels. Babies need to grow confidence and it seems to take forever. The Angels will end up getting all the food and (perhaps) terrorizing your babies.

You will need to raise the temperature on your tank considerably---82 would be the absolute minimum, with 84 to 86 being the temp at which I see the most success.

As for the tank itself, I would remove as much of that bulky rock as possible and leave the driftwood and plants. Babies tend to spook easily and WILL bang themselves if the tank is too crowded. Not to mention that since you want perfect water for growth, that stuff (pretty as it is) is displacing too much water.

I have experimented, and here's the stocking level that keeps everybody the healthiest--
A minimum of 14 gallons per Discus (more like 16 each if one of them grows up to be a giant male instead of a normal sized male--which has happened to me twice. The really big males are positively evil :evil: :twisted: and will bully the whole tank unless everyone has more room)
with an 80 % water change every 7 to 10 days.

Did I miss anything?

let me know what you decide to do, I am a diehard Discus fan.
I sold off some in order to keep my stocking levels decent, but still have 24 of them...
OH, one more thing. 2 Discus or 4 or more but not three. I have learned that the hard way, as they grow up, they become your average nasty cichlid and will gang up on a 3rd one :roll: .
TR

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!

I still think you can do it since Chris wants them. You just need to up your temp and shift some angels and a few rocks...am I tempting you?

BTW, I was deadly serious about the breeder. I have gotten something like 35 from this guy and haven't had ONE problem with his stock. He raises all his babies in tap water so that you don't need to mess with the pH or hardness of your water. It makes Discus keeping much easier than the old days.
Oh, and he's not expensive.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alexis said:
I still think you can do it since Chris wants them. You just need to up your temp and shift some angels and a few rocks...am I tempting you?
Yes you are!!
From my research I believed that discus were middepth shoalers (even though I once had an an angel "stuck in a rock")
The "big rock" will have to stay as Chris likes it.
How high does the temp need to be (most of my stock can easily go to 80F)?
I have 7 angels and can easily offload 3 to a retirement center (some of them are "buds" and I do not want to "break them up").

Alexis said:
BTW, I was deadly serious about the breeder
If he has "blue diamond" (which is what Chris likes) I will purchase from him.
This would be better for me as I really enjoy raising babies.

TR

·
Banned
750 Posts
My 125 gallon tank, with discus, angels, clown loaches, etc. are kept at 82°F (28°C). My discus all seem to do fine. They eat when I hand feed them and even started spawning. I use regular tap water also.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crazie.eddie said:
My 125 gallon tank, with discus, angels, clown loaches, etc. are kept at 82°F (28°C). My discus all seem to do fine. They eat when I hand feed them and even started spawning. I use regular tap water also.
Ce:

Several questions in two categories:

Part A

1) Did you raise them from very small juvies or purchase them as 3"-4" fish?

Part B

1) What is your typical Ph?

2) What is your typical Gh?

3) What is your typical nitrate concentration?

Thanks
Ron Jones

·
Registered
154 Posts
CE, what kind of filtration do you have on that 125? And how often/ volume of water changes?
I always like to learn new stuff!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.