Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got out the camera today, cleaned the glass on my two tanks, and got a little bit trigger happy, hope you like!

First off, Meet the twins!

those were most of my Discus, here's my Angels.

and a few misc fish.
the Pakistani loach

and an unidentified loach that likes to play.

Glass Catfish

Red Betta that has survived an unfortunate trip up the python hose! :frustrated:

hope you liked the pics, It's been alot of trial and error trying to figure out how to get decent pics of fish that won't keep still!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've been wondering now for about 6months what exactly he is. and you're right, I looked it up, it's a shisture. There's alot of variations it looks like.
Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Thanks everyone! I am pretty happy with the way those pictures turned out! of course, I only showed you the ten good ones out of the 120 that I took :roll: But I think it was worth it

Just to show you how far some of these fish have come, here's a shot of the very first discus that I ever bought.

that's the same fish that is in the7th picture up above. he started out really ugly and about 2.5" now his color is starting to fill in, and he's about 5"
cool, huh?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
AF_medic said:
and a few misc fish.
the Pakistani loach
That hardly looks like a Botia almorhae. It's Botia kubotai.
and an unidentified loach that likes to play.
This one is a Schistura similis it seems.

You'll need to provide this one extra oxygenation along with powerful currents. Make sure the temperature is at 23 minimum. Higher temperatures are often fine but this depletes the oxygen supply needed by this loach. Definitely not to be mixed with Botia species which are often aggressive.

It's simply evolution that allows them to thrive in a fast-flowing streams. Note that their origin is very well-oxygenated, very cool in terms of climate and have very powerful currents. Any depletion in oxygen will certainly not allow them to thrive on long-term basis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Thanks for the info on the fish. I always just thought that my Pakistani loach was an oddball for not having the "YOYO" across it's sides.
I haven't had any trouble with them being aggressive at all. and the Temp in that tank is kept at 25C very little current though. The shisture is my favorite non-cichlid fish, extremely personable.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
AF_medic said:
Blue Thanks for the info on the fish. I always just thought that my Pakistani loach was an oddball for not having the "YOYO" across it's sides.
There are lots of Botias that have different patterns despite being the same in appearance.:) You might want to look into Botia rostrata and Botia striata. They're lovely fish.:love:
I haven't had any trouble with them being aggressive at all.
Not all anyway.:) I would avoid Botia morleti as they are by far one of the most aggressive Botias along with the Botia modesta.:shake:
and the Temp in that tank is kept at 25C very little current though. The shisture is my favorite non-cichlid fish, extremely personable.
An extra current with rocks to rest and cling on among the currents will certainly make it happier.:) Their manner of 'staying put' simply goes to drifting along the currents.:)

Your loaches are quite nice.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a couple of vids I made up awhile back. quality is low thanks to photobucket, but I just love watching my fish swim, and if I post this here, then I can watch it at work when I am bored!

·
Registered
257 Posts
we're setting up an amazon tank and were looking at discus but hard to get around here and when they are here veerrryyy expensive. so we're getting angels. ur pics are great...tho now i have discus envy :sob:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Excellent videos AF_medic. I love the beginning of the first one, where the cory darts to the surface for air :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have to admit I smiled when the cory went to the top swimming that fast for some air =D!
And your angels are beautiful! I didn't watch the whole thing but the one swimming around to the left is fabulous!
And I love how the betta stands out so much =)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the videos. yes, the little corys are fun to watch, constantly on the move. They sure love to dart to the surface every once in awhile.

thanks for the compliments on the Angels. squiggles, sorry about the case of discus envy. when I first started with the discus, I wasn't sure if I was going to like them or not. I was concerned that they wouldn't have any personality. well, they have tons of personality! I've been hand feeding them lately, and the other day when I was cleaning the tank, I felt something nipping at my hand! It was the Turquoise discus! I guess he was hungry :lol: before I finished cleaning the tank more than half of the fish had given me a nibble to see how I tasted! they are getting really tame, I can even "pet" some of the big ones without them getting upset at me!

thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
those are really beautiful fish, and you have managed to get excellent pictures of them!

its nice that the fish get tame. tbw, my fish would swim away and hide when "the hand" would enter to move a plant or something, now they kind of peck at me as well :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
juliewiegand said:
those are really beautiful fish, and you have managed to get excellent pictures of them!

its nice that the fish get tame. tbw, my fish would swim away and hide when "the hand" would enter to move a plant or something, now they kind of peck at me as well :D
:lol: "the hand" :lol:

thank you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts