Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I ended up with a couple of albino cories.
In order for them to be happy, do I need a few more albinos? Or can I mix and match to make a contented shoal?
Anyone?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I have to agree with Joe on this one, I would get a couple more so you have a minimum of four albinos.

·
Registered
143 Posts
joeshmoe said:
well not realy my albinos never shoal with anyother corries but i hear that corries like to shoal with armored catfish.
What type?

Corries and Plecos are both armored catfish, among many.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump.
Would love to hear from some "cory people"
Please?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alexis... Do you have any other cories??

If they are albino the are most likely the albino form of Corydoras aeneus(bronze cories)

IME albino's are happy enough in a group of Corydoras aeneus.

I have 2 Corydoras aeneus and 1 albino that live/breed together.

In my larger tank I have 4 Corydoras schwartzi which live/shoal quite happily with my 4 Corydoras sterbai.(plus 2 peppered cories)

Hope this helps.
Good to see you.
Aysh. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Aysh, I have no other cories, these little guys were a mistaken (or a deliberate) substitution in an order...
They are indeed Coriadoras Aeneus.
So, let me make sure I understand, they will be fine with more of the same, regardless if they are albino or not?
Good!
That makes it easier. Now, I either sell the two, or find four more....
Thanks!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
My blackfin sorta hangs out with my 3 peppered cories a lot. the blackfin was a rescue from PetsMart and I was a little concerned, but I caught them the other day in a tight diamond formation. three peppereds in the front and sides and the blackfin in the back. they love to poke around together too.

My blackfin is calmer and less active than my peppered cories though

hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Alexis, you should be just fine mixing most species of cories. I havent had a problem yet doing it. the only problem i could see would be activity level differences but thats a minimal problem.

Nice avitar btw.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Mine shoal together and I have 4 Julii (c. Trinlineatus), 1 panda and 1 albino. They also shoal with the BN pleco and the otos. Don't seem all that particular in my tanks anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
i have 1 bronze and 3 albino(albino bronze)but the bronze prefers the company of two salfin plecos so asume color plays a part

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a tank with 2 green, 2 peppered, 2 spotted, 3 panda, and 2 adolfoi cories. I hoped they would form a neat mixed species shoal. Interactions within species were VERY common and I would often see the pairs swimming and foraging together. However, I rarely saw any interaction between species. I like the shoal effect, so I am moving toward a similar number of total fish, but just one or two species.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
i have 3 albino corys and 3 bronze. they all seem to shoal together quite the thing but i am very new to keeping fish so i could be misinterperating their behaviour. when they rest, they dont seem to do it as a group, rather as pairs of maybe 3 at a time but often i see an albino and a bronze lying together resting for example. hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I actually think the albinos are still bronze cories(Corydoras aeneus) except they lack the pigment and are albinos, of course. Both are still the same species.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts