Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gh - 60
kh - 120
ph - 7.0
nitrite - 1
nitrate - 40

I read on the forum that the nitrite can be caused by overstocking or over feeding. I might be over feeding, but the endlers seem to eat every little bit I give them.

I just did a 20% water change - first time in a few days. I use to do a water change every other day but I haven't done a water change in a few days.

I have a 5 gallon tank, 3 male endlers, 3 shrimp, and a few plants. The plants are growing like crazy, especially the dwarf grass and the Anubias nana.

I changed the filter, and I think I changed it too early - as it's a new tank. I also feed them brine shrimp x3 times a day. 15w lamp 25w heater. 8hr light a day. Aqueon brand everything.

When should I do another test? Tomorrow or should I wait a week? Should I do another water change tomorrow?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say about 5 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ya it is sort of just coming out of the cycle. A usually cycle takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks. How did you change your filter?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rinsed out the replacement filter cartridge with bottled water and then placed it inside my filter, removing the old cartridge and tossing it.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Your tank is still cycling. Do a water change right away. Nitrite at 1ppm is very high and lethal. Test your water every day or every other day and do water changes as needed. Also, i would cut back the feeding to once or twice a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Appletea

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
By throwing away your filter cartridge, you threw away your cycle. Just swish it around in tank water when you do a water change and put it back, they don't need replacing until they are falling apart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The levels are stable since Thursday. I also killed the last of the snails in my tank (I hope). A bunch of them, maybe 5 little baby ones, I think mystery snails, came along with one of the plants I bought. Haven't seen any others in about half a day now and I think that might have been a problem, too!

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts