Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 29 gallon tank. We set it up about 5 weeks ago, letting it sit for 24 hours filtering out without any fish in the tank. When we added fish (very exciting :D ) We were told to add hardy fish see how they do and then we can add more. Fine. We added 2 platy's, 3 blood fin tetras, 1 little Fleming crab and a blue crayfish. Weeks passed and our tank was holding up fine. Cloudy but soon cleared. Sadly the crab lost some legs, I'm guessing the crayfishes doing. The crab disappeared. Only to be found again sprouting little stubs for legs. Our tank started to get a bit cloudy again so we did a water change. It was about 4 weeks into first setting up. We added some more fish. Figuring it's been 5 weeks, and all our fish were alive, things were good. We added 2 med/large tiger barbs, 1 baby barb, 2 plecos(love those guys) 2 guramies(sp?) and 2 sliver iridescent sharks. After adding the fish our tank got REALLY cloudy. We did the PH test it was 6.0 and the Ammonia was 1.0 :shock: Dh keeps putting PH up and Ammo-lock, but nothing is working and yesterday we lost the platy, gurami, and baby barb :(
This is really depressing and please forgive for my lack of knowledge. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? I have grown close to our tank and all the little residents in it. I wake each day hoping for no floaters :( . My take is still very cloudy. My crayfish has shed her skin. I know I am suppose to leave it in the tank. That's another post *sigh* :blueworry:

Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Julie :dunno:

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, forgot to add that i have plastic plants, a whisper filter. Came with free food Tetra food which I have been using, feeding once a day, which I have cut back on amount. The crayfish has been getting frozen peas or sinking pellets.

thanks again.

Julie

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Razor, can I ask what is the proper amount of fish to have in a 29 gallon tank? We like small to smallish med size fish. Hate that this is happening. So, I should take some fish back? How many? What about the tank? Do another change once some fish are gone? TIA!

Julie

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alexis, thanks.

So, it's not looking good for my current fish :cry: Do you guys suggest I do another fish change once I downsize on fish? When I had the crayfish, crab 2 little platies and 3 ittybitty bloodfin tetras my tank looked so bare. Like the way the tiger barbs livened up the place. However was told by petstore that I could only get hardy fish hence the bloodfin and platies.

Julia

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alexis, thank you so much. Really, (think we were posting at the same time). I am going to have to really think about this. Just a quick question. Let's say I keep the tetra's, I would have to wait 2 months before adding more? If my tetras are still alive, I would have to work around them, right? I am going to search this site. I appreciate your info and feedback! Really helps. I have no idea what kind of plecos I have (your plecos are huge!). One is a lot smaller and lighter then the other. Maybe I can get a picture on here...

Julie

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joute, thanks for input. I have to get a test kit for Nitrite and Nitrate. I am using a siphon for water changes. God, I have to ask DH if he added the Aquasafe.

Thanks for being so patient with me. :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.