Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I delete my account?

I'm not impressed with several of the members who feign 'expertise' in bettas, yet are simply not much more than condescending know-it-alls.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. The best advice that I can give is to just not interact with the people who's opinions you don't respect.

Don't let those people drive you off of a forum that has a lot more to offer.
There is a whole wealth of information here on the forum about betta care and a ton of members with many years of experience with bettas and all other areas of life aquatic.

Having said that, if you really decide that you still want your account deleted, our Admin. Mike will have to do that for you.

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't just what I got, but in perusing other threads, seeing the same people giving the exact same pat answer that had nothing to do with the question asked. That's just ridiculous.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Yeah - I understand what you're saying there. On a forum this size and with the age ranges (13 and up), you're going to find a lot of that. But for every member who uses this forum as more of a social networking site, you're going to find a lot more who have tons of experience and good advice.

It's why I stuck around this long :) I started out with a 45 gallon tank that was overstocked with the wrong types of fish and because of this forum, I was able to keep everything alive until I upgraded to a 75 gallon planted tank.

And then came the bettas... LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We, very sadly, have lost 5 bettas in a month. Everything else was fine, water temp, chemicals, etc. But our local aquarium shop suggested there could be something growing in our tank water (I'm in Bermuda - we collect rain off limestone roofs and hold it in a tank under the house). My hubby was intrigued and now really wants the water tested, because this is our drinking water...

I don't know - I'll think about sticking around, but right now my son, who was the Betta keeper, is so upset he doesn't ever want another betta... Lots of tears and funerals in our house recently...

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I certanly dont' blame you for not wanting to get another betta anytime soon.

I would have a million questions to ask you in order to try to help.

Did you start a thread already that I can take a look at so I don't ask you the same questions? I'll do a search now but if you can paste in the thread link here, it might be quicker.

Never mind - I found it and will read it now.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hmmmmm....... Did your fish all come from the same provider? And did they all have the same symptoms with the fuzziness? Can you tell us any other symptoms before they became "fuzzy"?

I can't imagine that something in your water supply would result in a fungal type of appearance on your fish - at least not that quickly.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hey TommyBermuda. I'm sorry your son has had to experience this. We totally understand your frustration to with pat answers. We really do want to help, and members do tend to make assumptions if you haven't filled out the diagnosis form which tells us a lot of info. I have removed your last post, it's a little harsh. Let's just move forward and see if we can do a postmortem so to speak to sort this out. The only way to do that is to ask questions or make some assumptions.
Would you be willing to fill out the diagnosis form?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is long winded, but this is the whole, full story.

All the fish did come from the same provider, but not at the same time or from the same shipments.

Berry was bought in June 2011. She first lived in a glass bowl (about 1.5 gallons), and then moved to the 5 gallon tank, which we then added a basic Elite pump/filter, more for my sake than anything.

Blue Jay was adopted. I'm not sure how long my girlfriend had had him, but we got him in September. He swam in a 3 gal tank, no filter.

Both were very happy until about a month ago. My son went to feed Blue Jay in the evening and he was gone - completely covered in fungus growth. At first, we thought he must have been dead a day (though I can't think how my son would have missed that in the morning), but now I'm not so sure.

As my son wanted to eventually breed, we moved Berry to the 3 gallon tank, which had been scrubbed with hot water and cooled, etc., along with water from her own tank after the death of Blue Jay (on the Saturday).

After a partial water change and acclamation, Poseidon was introduced to the 5 gallon. He was fine for about 4 days. On the morning of the seventh day, we woke up to find him completely covered in fungus. I took him straight back to the shop, but he died on the way (he should have still been under 'warranty', but...).

While Poseidon was still fine, Berry suddenly went grey and covered in fuzz all over. She somehow made it through the night, was treated, but died the next day.

We took a sample of our tap water in to the shop to be tested - it showed a slight increase in nitrates, so we began adding Nite-out to treat the water before being added to the tank.

The tank water was again brought in to be tested and it was perfect. We brought home another Betta (unnamed), though there was a spot on him, which we had mentioned to the kid who was helping us that day (the regular ladies weren't in). Within a day, he did have a strand hanging out of that spot, so we contacted the shop and, on their advice, began treating him with the fungal treatment. It cleared up the next day. By the Saturday, he was completely covered in the grey fungus, and because of the question over his initial health, we brought him back to the shop, and he died on the way. They promised a replacement fish.

Before getting a new guy, I went home, and on the advice of my girlfriend who runs an aquarium shop, we did a 75% water change, complete with the gravel 'vacuuming'. We took the water in for testing, before we got Red - it was slightly high in ammonia, so my girlfriend also gave us a gallon of water with Red to do a partial water change while we introduced him. He was great, even through some really weird weather changes here (subtropical island). On Tuesday morning, he was perfectly fine, swimming happily, but when I came home around 2pm, he was completely covered in the grey fuzz. He was gone by 4:30.

So that is the story. Absolutely insane. Since the water had been tested several times, nothing really off was showing up, so the only thing we can think of it possibly is something else in our water.

Bermuda has a very unique water catchment system. We have no fresh water, so we collect rain water on our roofs, which is naturally purified using limestone. The water is carried down to a holding tank underneath the house. If the tank is not regularly cleaned, it can grow other things – molds, mildews, algae, etc. This should be done at least every 5 years. We have lived in our house for 2-1/2 years (we rent), and it's not been cleaned during that time, but I don't know when it was last cleaned. So, we're planning on getting the water tested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey TommyBermuda. I'm sorry your son has had to experience this. We totally understand your frustration to with pat answers. We really do want to help, and members do tend to make assumptions if you haven't filled out the diagnosis form which tells us a lot of info. I have removed your last post, it's a little harsh. Let's just move forward and see if we can do a postmortem so to speak to sort this out. The only way to do that is to ask questions or make some assumptions.
Would you be willing to fill out the diagnosis form?
Actually, while I didn't do the "form" as a "form". All the questions had been answered in the first 3 posts, complete with a picture. I realized that I had missed a couple of items, and so those were added in the extra post. The person ....

you know what, never mind...

I don't care anymore...

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
That's ok, we understand the frustration. and we're glad you came here to discuss it.
We're here to help and thanks for all the info!!

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I'm posting this video for DQ and Romad to see.
This is very interesting and amazing... I had NO idea. I imagine not many members have either. However they do talk about "chlorinating" the tank every 5 years, so Yes when was the last time it was done? And what is growing in there? Since there is a law that every house has a roof like this, is there also a law that a Landlord has to provide "proof of treatment" of the holding tank?

I do want to mention that If you should be able to get your water reservoir tank treated, then I think you will need a de-chlorinator for your water changes should you get another Betta. To take out the chlorine that can harm future fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brilliant system, isn't it? (I actually know a few of the gents in the video...)

We've got both tanks empty now and I've thrown away the gravel, too. I've cleaned everything thoroughly now, with a mild bleach solution, and now need to 'de-chlorinate' everything. Just waiting for a hot, sunny day!

Once we've had the water tested, and we can find out what's going on, if anything, I'll re-set the tanks, but that might not be for another month... But I think my son might opt for goldfish at this point, though that could change once some time has passed. I prefer a Betta - far more character!

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I agree with the Betta personality,... Goldfish won't last long size wise in the 5 gallon tho... they get so huge. I do think they are hardier.

You ARE on the right track having a tank with a filter compared to those who just use a bowl. They must scrub the bowl frequently because the water goes stagnant if left too long. However in the larger tank with a filter you can build up the good bacteria getting to the NitrAte stage. This still can take up to 6-8 weeks to do this, but you just have to do water changes weekly/bi-weekly.
My step-daughter is off in college with a Betta in a 2.5 gal since Sept, and he is still alive, and she has never "cleaned" the tank so is still maintaining the good bacteria.
Have you also been "over cleaning" your tank even tho it has a filter? Just need to ask to rule out a few things.
I find it REALLY strange that your Bettas actually grow the bacteria before they die!!
Wonder if Byron knows about this. I'll send him a PM. Edit... Byron is not able to look today, poss tomorrow.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Bettas and the forum members...I didn't see this thread until after I posted in your other thread-I was asked to take a look and as I posted in the other thread....I think it is a water mold-especially since the fish are covered fairly quick-Something is irritating them and this can cause excessive slime coat to develop-then that compromises the immune response and things snow-ball from there.....

Sometimes we do kinda have a copy and paste response to some question-I am guilty of that myself-especially when it comes to natural treatment I recommend-Not a lot changes with the way I recommend natural treatments-except with dosages and water changes at times. And with overall general care advice, however, I do type everything out when I respond-mainly because each one can be different in some cases.

I hope you stick around and don't let me or other members run you off...We mean well....But I do understand what you are talking about-Some members with good intentions and a lot of passion for this species-feel that there is only one way to keep them and its their way...lol....

IMO/E-lots and lots of different ways to successfully keep this species-I have to remind myself that not everyone on this site is a young person or new hobbyist and not talk down to them-yet try to explain in terms anyone can understand-Since some members refer to other post for help instead of making a new thread...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No - I've, generally, been pretty 'bad' with the 5 gallon because of the pump - once every couple of weeks. The 5gal was actually established with Berry swimming in it when we finally added the pump/filter.

The 3 gallon would get a partial water change every week, while Blue Jay was still around. We had decided that we wanted to add a pump to the 3 gal, but they've been out of stock for a while, and to ship it in, with the extra costs, would have made a $10 pump about $50... so we decided to wait...

Pump was added for 'mommy'... I do all the 'heavy lifting' (water changes, etc.), so the pump was to make my life a little easier...

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I'm posting this video for DQ and Romad to see.
This is very interesting and amazing... I had NO idea. I imagine not many members have either. However they do talk about "chlorinating" the tank every 5 years, so Yes when was the last time it was done? And what is growing in there? Since there is a law that every house has a roof like this, is there also a law that a Landlord has to provide "proof of treatment" of the holding tank?

Bermuda's Water Catchment - YouTube

I do want to mention that If you should be able to get your water reservoir tank treated, then I think you will need a de-chlorinator for your water changes should you get another Betta. To take out the chlorine that can harm future fish.
This is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting the video Jakie.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Bettas and the forum members...I didn't see this thread until after I posted in your other thread-I was asked to take a look and as I posted in the other thread....I think it is a water mold-especially since the fish are covered fairly quick-Something is irritating them and this can cause excessive slime coat to develop-then that compromises the immune response and things snow-ball from there.....

Sometimes we do kinda have a copy and paste response to some question-I am guilty of that myself-especially when it comes to natural treatment I recommend-Not a lot changes with the way I recommend natural treatments-except with dosages and water changes at times. And with overall general care advice, however, I do type everything out when I respond-mainly because each one can be different in some cases.

I hope you stick around and don't let me or other members run you off...We mean well....But I do understand what you are talking about-Some members with good intentions and a lot of passion for this species-feel that there is only one way to keep them and its their way...lol....

IMO/E-lots and lots of different ways to successfully keep this species-I have to remind myself that not everyone on this site is a young person or new hobbyist and not talk down to them-yet try to explain in terms anyone can understand-Since some members refer to other post for help instead of making a new thread...
I didn't think of the slime-coat build up possibility. Good call there OFL :yourock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, if there is mold in the water, we'll have to get that sorted asap. I'm highly allergic myself, and that could be the reason for a major arthritis flare right now.... HMMMMM....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts