Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a black orchid betta at a pet store and was going to get it, only it had some white goop dripping from its gills, is it something to be concerned of? The employee said it was probably fungus and nothing to frett over and that we should come back in a few days and it will be better by then. What is that in its gills?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I never buy fish from foul looking tanks or tanks that have any sickly fish, let alone a fish with an apparent disease.

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
I have never seen anything like that - something coming out of the gills. Issues in the breathing system often leads to death, and quite quickly. Regardless whether it is fungus or other issues, it would be best to avoid it. Diseases often spread quite fast in water. Lets say that the unfortunate guy makes it, but usually he will carry it for a much longer time. Since I usually keep around a hundred or so bettas at one time (not including the fry), I'd rather not chance bringing illness home. . . . just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Only thing I've heard of that's similar is a parasite... A tiny worm that attaches to the gills.

Parasites are pretty easy to treat though. Ich-away would probably work.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts