Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am relatively new to this aquarium world and is interested in breeding mollies. I have a big size female black molly and a medium size male gold molly. I have read about 2 or 3 females to 1 male ratio and added 1 small size dalmation female molly. But it was fin nipped and harrassed by the big blackfemale molly and died. Currently the gold male constantly chases around the black female and once while changing water I kept them in a small bucket and harrassed by the male the female jumped out. Luckily I was there and gently put her back. I have provided a hiding place but have not separated them yet. I want to add another female molly but cannot decide. Should I get another big black female molly or a medium gold female molly??If I get a big black female will the big black females kill my medium gold male?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi there. Sorry about your fishy stress. From all that I have read here and other sites (I've never had any experience with this personally) but it seems that a fish that comes off like a bully is always a bully and it won't matter how many more fish you add she will continue to be that way. It seems like the male has turned into a nipper just in self defense. I would put her in a different tank with any fish she gets along with. You could try adding fish vitamins like Acurel HealthGuard maybe that will help her to mellow out. Good luck : )

·
Registered
679 Posts
If not more fish to occupy her time toss in some floating plants real of plastic. Calms everyone down.

I would do what I suggested in your previous post and use the floating plants as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts