Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. My new betta succumbed to some unknown disease (I suspect columnaris), and I wanted to read up on what it might be at http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/important-articles-11660/

Those links all go to a blank page for me. I just wanted to let you know, as it looks like a very helpful post.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm continuing to try to learn all I can about being a good aquarist.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Thank you for letting us know. Yes we have a huge job ahead of us of updating and revamping our reference area that is much outdated and somewhat un-organised.
In the mean time, possibly a mod will have some disease experience or...start a thread with specifics to your issues in the disease section. I hope you get an answer, disease issues can be frustrating.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Well that is definitely not Ich! Ich looks like you sprinkled salt onto your fish. White grains of stuff all sitting on fins, body, tail... and looks like big salt grains.

Lets hope someone can give advice. I'm not a Betta expert I'm afraid. Super Clean water...Frequent water changes cannot hurt. Try to do them gently tho... not chasing and cupping him but slower and gentler. Like a $1 Dollar store turkey baster if you have one.
I hope you can find an answer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, he died from it the same day I noticed it. :( I just want to know what it is now so that I can properly decontaminate his tank and everything that might have come in contact with it.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I had a read of the betta thread with the photo. i would agree with those who said this was bacterial, possibly columnaris or similar. I have seen it, the fish never recover, and now as soon as I see it I net the fish out and euthanize it. This will spread.

It might be a protozoan, but I am not inclined to think so here.

As for treatment, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial treatments may work, but I do not like dumping stuff in my tank unless I am fairly certain as to the issue, so I won't recommend something that may or may not work.

But I do agree with those who recommend good maintenance, meaning weekly partial water changes of 1/3 to 1/2 the tank (alwyas, not just for trouble) and maintaining preferred water parameters, as a prevention. QT any new fish.

Byron.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Yeah, I just desperately hope I didn't cross-contaminate my big new tank in any way. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts