Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am (semi) new to all of this, and have been treating my aquarium for ick. I recently discovered small dark, almost green/black good-looking spots on my algae eater. I have been researching for days. Wondering if anyone has any clue by the photos. Thanks in advance from this worried fish mama

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been in this hobby for 28 almost 29 years now, owning many algea eaters myself yet never seeing such a horrible disease like this... I belive it's probably some kind of fungal infecton. The amonia in your water might be high youn should do a full water change and remove that fish untill it gets better so the weird disease dosn't spread. Try going to the store and getting some fish medication. It could be some form of fin rot that has spread to the skin but I doubt your going to fix this one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response and advice. I check my ph/ nitrates every two days and ammonia, nitrites, alkalinity, ect. once a week. Water levels have all been good and I did a medication cycle last week followed with a partial water change with not much relief. This week I am trying a different brand of medication, a combo API Pimafix and Melafix, which actually seems to be reducing the spots and decreasing inflammation/ redness. I have 3 more days and then will be doing another water change. I will take your advice and do a full water change this time. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondering if you've had any experience with this new issue I ran into...
After treating my tank for two weeks to rid of the spots on my pleco, almost all the spots had gone! But..I did not want to continuously medicate my healthy fish, so I took a week off and decided to continue to monitor the spots. They began to grow back!! In the midst of this I also had a couple of angelfish lay eggs and was focused on that and by the next few days the spots on the pleco rapidly spread, but he has always been otherwise very healthy..so I put him in a QT tank to medicate him for another week and see if that would help as it did before and go from there..I put the temp up to about 84-86.. and by the end of the evening he became lethargic and positioned himself in the tank differently than usual for him. Checked the water parameters again and water temp, ect, the next morning I found him with a swollen black belly...DEAD!! I've been searching online but havent come across any good answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts