Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, if I was to move my danios to my 90gal (in which I will be adding discus in a month or two), I assume the danios would eventually be eaten. Is this correct? They are very fast swimmers so maybe they would be ok?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
One problem with mixing the two is temperature.

While discus need temps of around 30 degrees, zebra danios thrive in temps of 18 - 24 degrees.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.

·
Banned
750 Posts
When I had danios, I kept my tanks at 82° F, which are the same temps I now keep with the discus.

The danios are very fast swimmers and discus have very small mouths, so for sure, there is no chance of the danios getting eaten. The only thing is, being that danios are fast swimmers and often dart for no reason, it may make the discus very nervous, since they see fast darting fish as a sign of danger is nearby.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ineresting. So the reason I am asking is because I have a 15gal upstairs and a 90gal in the living room. I am cycling the 90gal and will add discus in a month or two. I would like to combine the tanks so I only have to keep one up, then I can use the second for a hospital or breeding tank. What do you think, should I move the danios?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
What do you think, should I move the danios?
Nope. Eddie pointed out the sense of security of discus which means we do not allow danios and discus under one roof.:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so since I can't find ammonia anywhere, should I move my danios to the 90gal until it cycles, then move them back? Otherwise how will I get this tank to cycle???

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
Ok, so since I can't find ammonia anywhere, should I move my danios to the 90gal until it cycles, then move them back? Otherwise how will I get this tank to cycle???
You can use your danios to cycle the tank.:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The PH is different between the two tanks, will this be ok?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
The PH is different between the two tanks, will this be ok?
As long as the pH differences is not too big, then they should be fine. Otherwise try to acclimate them slowly.:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Someone else already said it, but I will add that I put Danios in with my Discus and the Danios were so frenetics that they panicked my Discus and had them hiding in a corner. I returned them after a week and got some Rummynose Tetras instead. Those have worked perfectly for months and months. With an added bonus that their noses get pale if the water quality is off so they are like living water parameter indicators!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts