Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Dalmatian Lyretail Molly, and the associate at the store told me it was male, but I think it might be female. I don’t know enough to say for sure, but it’s confusing because sometimes it’s anal fin is fanned out, making me think female, but then sometimes it flattens the anal fin to it’s body & makes it look more like a male. Can someone please clarify this for me?
Photograph Purple Light Blue Organism

·
Registered
10 Posts
I breed mollies and from the bottom photo it looks to be a female. She's still young due to her lack of black spots. As she gets older, she'll darken up and her anal fin will be more pronounced. She'll spread it out more. The female has a beautiful fan or heart shaped anal fin and the males is pointie. If you don't want lots of babies then stay clear of a male. There's still a chance that she may give birth to fry even without a male due to being around males before you got her. They can store the males sperm inside them for months and get pregnant whenever they want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, everyone! Unfortunately she didn’t last more than 36 hours. 😢 I spoke with the guy from Petco who sold her to me, & I did everything correctly, acclimated her correctly, even took in a water sample for testing & all levels were safe. He said there was an underlying disease in the fish, & their whole batch of mollies looked to be in rough shape. I was upset he sold it to me in that condition, & will be steering clear of Petco for a while…

1 - 5 of 5 Posts