Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
These guys have been on my wishlist for a fish to keep for a while now. I got bored so here have a profile. I hate that it's so short, but best I could do this time.

Common name(s): Dadio, Burjor’s Brilliance, Orange Hatchetfish
Scientific name: Laubuca dadiburjori Menon, 1952
Family: Cyprinidae
Synonyms: Chela dadiburjori

Maximum size: 1.18 inches (30 mm)
Social structure: Shoaling
Minimum tank size: 24 inches (60 cm) in length
Swimming level: Upper
Temperature: 72-75 F (22-24 C)
Water hardness: 5-12 dGH
PH: 6.0-7.5

Distribution: Endemic to the Western Ghats mountain range that runs roughly parallel to India's western coast. The species can be found from the town of Nagercoil in Tamil Nadu northwest through Kerala and Karnataka to Goa.

Habitat: Found in small streams and clearwater pools.

Maintenance: Prefers a mature, well planted tank with open areas of swimming space near the surface. The Dadio is sensitive to poor water conditions and quick swings in water chemistry, so small frequent water changes are necessary. Water flow should be gentle to help emulate the conditions of its natural habitat.
Like many other danionins, the Dadio is an expert jumper, so the aquarium should be tightly covered. Floating plants and fined leaved vegetation will partially cut down on this trait by adding to this fish's sense of security.

Diet: A micropredator in nature, the Dadio will readily accept prepared foods like flakes and micropellets in the aquarium. The inclusion of live and frozen foods like Artemia nauplii, Daphnia, grindal worms, mosquito larvae, mayflies, and fruit flies will help to provide the best conditioning.

Compatibility: The Dadio is a shoaling species best maintained in groups of 10 or more. The species is active, but peaceful with others, so a community of smaller sized fish is readily possible. Ensure that tank mates can be kept in the somewhat cooler temperatures needed by the Dadio. Possible tankmates could include Danio, Microdevario, Dario, Badis, Akysis vespa, and Hara jerdoni among others.

Sexual dimorphism: Males are slimmer and slightly smaller, as well as more colorful when in breeding condition.

Breeding: When in good condition, the Dadio will spawn every few days. Males will find a clump of vegetation near the surface and display to females in an attempt to initiate spawning. If this effort is successful, the pair will embrace and 40-50 eggs will be laid in a clump among the plants. Adults will quickly eat any eggs, so they are best removed along with the plant they are attached to.
Eggs will hatch in 2-3 days with fry becoming free swimming in another 4-5. Infusoria and Paramecium are necessary as a food source for about the first week, after which the fry can begin to be fed larger foods such as Artemia nauplii and vinegar worms.

Additional notes: Two morphs co-exist in nature, differing only in the presence or absence of spots along the metallic blue midline stripe.
The species was described by Ambat Gopalan Kutty Menon as Laubuca dadiburjori in honor of one of his assistants, Sam Dadyburjor. Since then the species epithet has suffered from several misspellings in scientific papers (dadidurjori, dadyburjori, dadydurjori). The correct spelling is dadiburjori as this was the name chosen by Sam Dadyburjor himself. In 1968 the species was transferred by Petre Mihai Bănărescu to the genus Chela where it stayed until 2009 when Fang et al. returned it to the original genus.

Contributing Members:
BWG

Told you Reffie is a state of mind. :p

Since I'm not *technically* a Reffie, I'll abuse my *MOD* editing powers, and type my comments here, to avoid re-sending an Email to those who have not yet responded. . .

Thanks for this, Cory. Very well done! I find your profiles inspiring (stop inspiring me to want more fish...!).
I come away having learned what I need to take proper care of this animal, the all-important reasons why said care is needed, how to do it myself - and lots of bonus fun facts (always my fave parts!).
Though they're often fish I've never heard of before, I find that you include all that I would want and need to know, compiled into one place - a very good thing!
You know better than I do how difficult it can be to find most of this information - especially on the newer/less common in the hobby fish! ^__^

You didn't get *as* much into detail in this one as you did in some of your others - and I missed it, even though I realize that all of the information isn't available. . .

Thanks for all you do - and for making it easy for anyone to learn. . . <3

I included some suggestions via PM. Lemme know your thoughts on mine.

*luffsCory*

*UPDATED for revisions 2/17*

1 - 1 of 1 Posts