Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i need to know how to cycle marine tanks, is it the same as freshwater?

I want to do a fishless type cycle since it would be cruel to cycle with damsels or mollies, then give them away to someone else to use them to cycle.

I dont really want to cycle with un-cured live rock since i cant find any uncured live rock in the first place so should i buy some 100% ammonia to use to cycle? Or should i put a few pinches of fish food in there, or should i put a medium sized shrimp cocktail in there?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i know clowns are best added all at once to help prevent agressive behavior so would adding 2 small clowns after tests are alright be ok?

I plan on buying 16 pounds of assorted live rock from dr. foster and smith which comes pre-cured. The sand i want is probably carib-sea aragonite sand and i will try to get a cup of live sand to seed the rock at my lfs. I will leave it there till my aquarium levels stabalize then add fish. Little by little i might add some more rock to get around 20-25 pounds. After i have enough cash i will buy that aquaC skimmer you are talking about and run it for a while. Then get corals, no corals until i get the skimmer since the skimmer will help me maintain good water quality the corals need.

Is this enough? Before i get the skimmer i will use freshwater filters (bio-wheel) and once i get the skimmer i might get rid of the freshwater ones, or maybe not. Or should i just start the aquarium with a skimmer (might need to loan some money from my mom)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.