Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 20 gallon tank. Installed filter and heater, and filled it up with tap water. It has a few fake decorations and plants in it. I also put half a cap of Prime in it for the chlorine. It is currently at 76-78 degrees. I've let the filter run and let it sit without touching it for about 48 hours. Just got my API master test kit and heres what it said:

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

I'm not sure why the nitrite level is so high since I didn't do anything to begin the cycling. Is this normal? Should I begin with the partial water changes at this point? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
645 Posts
test your source water.was there anything put in this tank that was from another tank?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Everything in the tank was brand new.

I just tested the tap water directly and still got 5.0 ppm nitrites...what should I do now?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Municipal water.

Just tested the water from my refrigerator using the filter...got 0 ppm nitrities. does that mean I should use only that filtered water?

·
Registered
645 Posts
no,filtered water is not the answer.it ends up filtering out many things that your fish require to remain healthy.try to get a report on your water quality from your municipal water works or call them and ask about the nitrite in your supply.since you have prime,you are able to use it up to 5x the normal usage of 2 drops per gallon.this will detoxify your nitrite.are you going to do a fishless cycle in your tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts