Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Believe it or not, I will have no problem not peeking, because I want it to work! I'll do the W/Cs at night, before I go to bed. So, what do you think, four days in total??
My pair of Blues spawned today, so by Sunday they'll be wrigglers and come Monday they will have disappeared, as always happens. So I will start Monday as I don't want to interupt my Blues "routine".
I also realized I may have some Cardinals go by the wayside.
The tank will be pitch dark and Mr. Pictus will be in his glory.
After four days with no food I'm thinking he'll be making snacks out of a few of them. :shock:

(So, could you even see anything with that flashlight anyway?? lol)

I did 72 hours, but it was in a 29 gallon. I had cardinals in my tank at the time with a red tail shark. The cardinals made it through fine, i think i may have lost a otocinclus. Although the shark was no where near as large as a discus in your big tank...I didn't do any W/C during mine, if i had that may have prevented the "casualty."

I remember directly after the blackout, my red tiger lotus was standing straight up reaching for the light(it was lying flat before, covered in cyano). All of my plants looked great afterwards, It's like a long nap and they were all stretching, ready to grow. I'm really excited to see you get your tank back the way it was. :-D

P.S. Yes i could see something with that flashlight, mostly my kuhli loaches they love the dark. I could see my shoaling fish tucked away in my Rotala and java fern. The fish were fairly dim colored when i first turned the lights back on, but they quickly regained their usual brightness.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I make my own root tabs by placing a few pellets of OSMOCOTE slow relase plant fertilizer found at lowes,walmart,lawn and garden store in the bottom of ice cube tray and then covering them with water and freeze.Then place them under sword plant(s) and crypts which is largely what I have. This product is safe if pushed deep and coverd with gravel and provides plant's with a bit more of the Macro nutrients than Flourish alone.
Have also placed a few of these pellet's in small pieces of Iron rich red pottery clay and then baked them on cookie sheet to form nice little plugs or balls that can be pushed into the substrate and covered.
Google .."use of Osmocote in planted aquariums" .
Many of the root tabs only contain maybe some iron and micronutrients. I like and use this product.
I also bought dry mix fertilizer ..MACRO and MICRO NUTRIENT MIX from AquariumFertilizer .com and use a tiny amount (talking 1/4 tsp of each maybe once every two weeks) Dosing vary's with volume of water.
Many folks doing EI dosing ,use three times this amount each week or each day with high light CO2 enriched tanks without issues with regards to plant's or fish or Algae.
I Can't see where tiny amounts of dry fertz at rates for low tech would have any effect on fishes and have yet to see such with my fish but I completely understand should you be hesitant.
I might search out info on EI dosing in low tech applications and form your own opinion.
Wow, lots of info for me to digest and research here. Thank you very much for the info!
I like the idea of the Osmocote. I use it for my orchids and they do great.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I did 72 hours, but it was in a 29 gallon. I had cardinals in my tank at the time with a red tail shark. The cardinals made it through fine, i think i may have lost a otocinclus. Although the shark was no where near as large as a discus in your big tank...I didn't do any W/C during mine, if i had that may have prevented the "casualty."

I remember directly after the blackout, my red tiger lotus was standing straight up reaching for the light(it was lying flat before, covered in cyano). All of my plants looked great afterwards, It's like a long nap and they were all stretching, ready to grow. I'm really excited to see you get your tank back the way it was. :-D

P.S. Yes i could see something with that flashlight, mostly my kuhli loaches they love the dark. I could see my shoaling fish tucked away in my Rotala and java fern. The fish were fairly dim colored when i first turned the lights back on, but they quickly regained their usual brightness.
I hope I'll be so lucky. My Red Tigers are covered in cyano, lying flat also. Their leaves are to delicate to scrub the gunk off without tearing the leaves. I love my Red Tigers. I really hope to get my tank back to where it was too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope I'll be so lucky. My Red Tigers are covered in cyano, lying flat also. Their leaves are to delicate to scrub the gunk off without tearing the leaves. I love my Red Tigers. I really hope to get my tank back to where it was too.
I used my python siphon system on mine before during my gravel vac and it came off the leaves, but there is the chance that i just got lucky too, i wasn't too gentle. I had white sand in my setup on top of black flourite. I think the reason that i had issues with cyano in my 29 gallon setup was that the lights were just too bright for the setup( not that i'm saying that is your problem), The red tiger lotus is my favorite, but alas; i can't find it anywhere. It's always sold out at sweet aquatics, and my LFS is having trouble getting it as well. I have to have more and soon, did i mention it's my favorite?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Are you still dosing flourish?

Algae requires TINY amounts of light. (The theory that more light creates more algae growth through photosynthesis is wrong.)

Algae do require high levels of iron, and iron is split into molecules the algae can use by light. So more light -> more algae, but not for the reason people think.

That could be why blackouts work. Even the tank without the light on, it would take a tiny fraction of a lumen to keep the algae alive- a tiny crack in the shading material would be enough, but it DOES cut off the iron supply, and starve the algae.

You could try adding carbon, doing a big W/C, and not fertilise for a week and see if it helps. :)
That is, if you're not all set on the blackout.

Also, a comment on baking the clay-
Clay can be used to make effective root tabs. Baking them in an oven simply makes the clay unstable, where it breaks down faster, while firing it in a kiln will lock up all the nutrients.

When I make root tabs, just let them air-dry for a couple weeks. They hold together in water better. I'm working on a way to mass-produce the tabs so I can sell them in the classifieds forum.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The red tiger lotus is my favorite, but alas; i can't find it anywhere. It's always sold out at sweet aquatics, and my LFS is having trouble getting it as well. I have to have more and soon, did i mention it's my favorite?
I have never have a problem finding it, as I always order them from here:
(They are my favorite plant too!)

Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
So how is this going aunt kymmie? Have you completed you blackout yet?

I dosed maracyn for 4 days, took a break for 2 and then dosed for 2 more days with a 25% water change at the end and all my BGA is gone. My water parameters are stable and i have no signs of any damage to my good bacteria (no fluctuations in water chemistry).

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So how is this going aunt kymmie? Have you completed you blackout yet?

I dosed maracyn for 4 days, took a break for 2 and then dosed for 2 more days with a 25% water change at the end and all my BGA is gone. My water parameters are stable and i have no signs of any damage to my good bacteria (no fluctuations in water chemistry).
LOL, no, I'm so stubborn I still have not done the black out! If I was convinced it would work I would. Everything I've read says that if you don't get to the root cause it'll just come back. Further reading (and what others tell me) is that a break out of cyano is a result of excess organics in the water. So, what I've been doing is massive water changes, cleaning every leaf I can in the process, added polishing pads to my filter (to trap the tiniest of particles) and instead of dosing Flourish Comprehensive once a week, I started using it twice a week. I also cut back my lighting by one hour.

As of right now I do not see any cyano in the tank. I know there's no way I got it all but at least it's not exponentially growing at the moment. I'm also thinking of getting Seachem's Purigen and using that in my filter. I know that 1077 used it when he had his discus tank set up and Purigen absorbs excess organics and is said to have a very small impact on trace elements. I had just purchased a giant bottle of Chemipure but luckily before I opended it 1077 told me it removes CO2.

Maracyn is the only thing that will kill it once and for all, and I'm too afraid of nuking my bio in this tank. Maybe if there were different fish in this tank I would but I'm too afraid to take a chance like that with my discus. Sin, did you take readings before and after treatment? What was your nitrAte reading before treatment and then after??

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My PH held stable at 7.6-7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and ~40ppm nitrates all throughout. However, i did add water sprite part of the way in so that might have reduced and change in nitrates.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My PH held stable at 7.6-7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and ~40ppm nitrates all throughout. However, i did add water sprite part of the way in so that might have reduced and change in nitrates.
That sounds to me like the Maracyn had zero negative effect. Will you remind me the size of the tank (and the livestock) you performed this Maracyn protocol on?? Thx!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
46g
Fluval 305 (All biological filtration, biomax + water polishing pads + ceramic cylidners (similar to biomax but smoother) + foam)

8 golden pristella tetras
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Black Skirt Tetras
Unknown # of MTS
2 Nerite snails

Dosing procedure: 4 days w/ full maracyn recommended dose, 4 pks per day (tank was rated 46g but after substrate and rocks and such i estimated it at 40g so 4pks a day)

I ran out on day 5 so i had to wait 2 days to get it, but LFS had water sprite so i added that to my tank, most of the BGA had already gone, only tiny tufts of it were still on some of my leaves, looked a lot like fuzz algae but upon touching it, realized it was bga, just a lighter green

I dosed full amt on day 7 and 8

I left my lights of on day 8 and 9, but did not cover the tank up. After turning on the lights I saw no BGA.

Added Amano shrimp 3-4 days after, no water change yet (i didnt not see a need to since my water params had not changed). The shrimp did fine.

I did notice that there was a dark brown film UNDER the BGA, looked like heavy duty brown diatoms, but my nerites started to eat that brown stuff and after adding the amano shrimp, the brown stuff is almost all gone except for patches at the tips of my sword which are at the top of the tank.

I also noticed that my most heavily infected leaves now have little pin-hole holes all over it, indicating a potassium deficiency? I dont know what the cause of this is, if it was soil, the bga, or maracyn?

My other plants are fine, 2 of my dwarf chain swords started sending out runners mid medication time and grew 4 extra plants for me. My anarchris also started to grow very well around day 6 and 7.

I know discus are much more sensitive to meds than tetras are. My fish have also become very hardy because I was in school until May last year and before then 6 of the pristellas and all 3 black skirts had lived in neglect because my parents forgot to feed them a lot and never changed the water so they may have been accustomed to hard times...

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Good info, thanks. What you are describing, what looks like heavy duty brown diatoms is what I'm seeing now where prior there was cyano. I don't have snails in this tank (loaches make sure of that!) and the only algae crew I have is a one inch ABN so he's got his work cut out for him, lol. I used to keep a dozen otos in this tank but after I caught a few of them sucking the slime coat off of one of my discus (otos doing this? I think this is unheard of...maybe they were starving??) they went into my 75, where they are very happy.

Keeping my fingers crossed....​

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
did you BGA outbreak happen shortly after your Otos were removed? maybe thats the factor that changed and allowed the BGA to grow?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
did you BGA outbreak happen shortly after your Otos were removed? maybe thats the factor that changed and allowed the BGA to grow?
The outbreak happended after I moved the otos, but it wasn't shortly after, it was a few weeks. Still, it makes me wonder if there isn't some correlation??

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
dead cyano dissolves and breaks into shreds that dissolve further. This stuff is under the cyano, if you suck up cyano its right under it, almost like the cyano was growing over it, this might be what excess organics means? Or possibly cyano waste. I know when i dosed maracyn, the powder would rain down like snow and areas where the powder bits landed would result in little craters in the cyano, kinda hard to describe but the little area around the cyano would be shredded and blowing in the current. After a little while, when i checked back, i would see that the cyano had broken off and vanished. Just pieces of it would loosen off the leaf and be pulled away by the current as the dosing went on until it was just gone. However, i do know my snails and shrimp are eating part of it that they can get to.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts