Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've got a couple zebra danios who have been in my tank since I started it in Oct. 2011. They have developed internal growths over the last year or so, and now are to the point where their mobility is somewhat compromised. I've decided that they need to be put down. I've read about the humane way to do this, however I am not sure where I can get Clove Oil. Is this something the local drug store should carry?

Thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i would steer away from culling if they are still eating and active.fish can live for a long time with growths.if they are lethargic,not eating,wasting away and you have tried to treat them to no avail it is a different story.do you have any pics of the growths? clove oil can be found at most any pharmacy.it is called eugenol,and it is used for dental pain.if you can not find it you can use the thermal shock method. put a container of water in the freezer until the top ices over. take it out and break through the top of the ice. put in the fish,and then put them back in the freezer.this will stun the fish and it will die peacefully. eugenols' effects can cause the fish to thrash about a little. it is up to you as to the method used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts