Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Creepy Crawly ID

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Chesh 
#1 ·
Ok soo I am in the process of doing a water change in my 10gallon tank and I spotted an opaque spot on silicon in the corner of my tank. It has brown lines almost like a rib structures (the best way I can discribe it). At first I thought I had some kinda buildup on the tank so I touched it with my scraper and it moved! O.O

It moves like a worm and is about 1/2" big. What on earth is it?? How do you get rid of it or do you need to get rid of it??

I took pics but there are not the best sorry!

Is this something I even need to worry about??

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe it's a planaria (a non parasitic flat worm). I had a couple some time ago after I added some new floating plants.
I think there are mixed reviews on the harm they may do to fish.
I played it safe and got rid of the ones I had (besides, as you said, they're a bit on the creepy crawler side.)

#10 ·
COOL!

I *believe* there are different types of Planaria, so it's still possible. . . it does look like that could be an option.

Otherwise. . . could it be a limpet? Acroloxus lacustris, I think is the correct name for them. It's hard to tell on the size, it looks far too big, but I have a difficult time with scale on tank shots, as a rule.

Whatever it is (or was) I'm glad you got rid of it! Creepy crawlies are, well, CREEPY! Even if they're not harmful!!!

#11 ·
It actually looks a bit like a leech to me.
I've had them before, it's not fun D:

You can tell by the way they move,
planaria glide across the glass, leeches bunch up and pull themselves.

Reactions: Boredomb
#16 ·
I've had a leech before. I'm guessing from plants as well. Luckily it was before I added fish. I didn't freak out, just disposed of it (fine I used planting tongs instead of touching it) and wait to make sure there wasn't going to be more before adding fish. Just to play it safe.

#13 ·
I didnt handle it very well, ended up taking apart the whole tank with gloves and shrieking at everything :lol:

I ended up getting them from some plants someone gave me, apparently they were being kept in a pond which i wasnt aware of.

Reactions: jentralala
#17 ·
yep, creepy crawly..
one time i noticed a tiny little worm swimming through the water. was trying to get a closer look at it: it appeard grey and was little more than half an inch long.
didn't get to look at it more than 10 seconds. one of the fish came along and ate it.

#19 ·
I've seen Nematode worms in an old tank that I was cleaning up, sounds like what TwoCents was describing. . . Those were kind of cool. . .

I was looking into getting Rabbit Snails right up until I heard that leeches are a fairly commonplace occurrence with them. . . I changed my mind REALLY fast. Just. . . not okay with leeches!!!
*shudder*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.