Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok soo I am in the process of doing a water change in my 10gallon tank and I spotted an opaque spot on silicon in the corner of my tank. It has brown lines almost like a rib structures (the best way I can discribe it). At first I thought I had some kinda buildup on the tank so I touched it with my scraper and it moved! O.O

It moves like a worm and is about 1/2" big. What on earth is it?? How do you get rid of it or do you need to get rid of it??

I took pics but there are not the best sorry!

Is this something I even need to worry about??

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I believe it's a planaria (a non parasitic flat worm). I had a couple some time ago after I added some new floating plants.
I think there are mixed reviews on the harm they may do to fish.
I played it safe and got rid of the ones I had (besides, as you said, they're a bit on the creepy crawler side.)

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't have that arrow head like I have seen most Planaria have. Either way I managed to get it!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha I had to stop cleaning my tank and walk away for a min. Made this Thread and then went back and scooped it out with a net.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of Alien, those things that launched themselves at your face?

brrrrrrrr I hope that's the last you see of those things!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
COOL!

I *believe* there are different types of Planaria, so it's still possible. . . it does look like that could be an option.

Otherwise. . . could it be a limpet? Acroloxus lacustris, I think is the correct name for them. It's hard to tell on the size, it looks far too big, but I have a difficult time with scale on tank shots, as a rule.

Whatever it is (or was) I'm glad you got rid of it! Creepy crawlies are, well, CREEPY! Even if they're not harmful!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It actually looks a bit like a leech to me.
I've had them before, it's not fun D:

You can tell by the way they move,
planaria glide across the glass, leeches bunch up and pull themselves.

Reactions: Boredomb

·
Registered
178 Posts
You had leeches in your tank?

I think I would just curl up and die. I'm terrified/horrified by leeches.
I didnt handle it very well, ended up taking apart the whole tank with gloves and shrieking at everything :lol:

I ended up getting them from some plants someone gave me, apparently they were being kept in a pond which i wasnt aware of.

Reactions: jentralala

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

I've had a leech before. I'm guessing from plants as well. Luckily it was before I added fish. I didn't freak out, just disposed of it (fine I used planting tongs instead of touching it) and wait to make sure there wasn't going to be more before adding fish. Just to play it safe.

·
Registered
318 Posts
yep, creepy crawly..
one time i noticed a tiny little worm swimming through the water. was trying to get a closer look at it: it appeard grey and was little more than half an inch long.
didn't get to look at it more than 10 seconds. one of the fish came along and ate it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had a leech before. I'm guessing from plants as well. Luckily it was before I added fish. I didn't freak out, just disposed of it (fine I used planting tongs instead of touching it) and wait to make sure there wasn't going to be more before adding fish. Just to play it safe.
Thats what I would have done too, but I had the unfortunate luck to get a pregnant one. Leeches carry their young on their backs so when I touched it to remove it, a bunch of babies fell off so I could never be sure if they were all gone or not

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I've seen Nematode worms in an old tank that I was cleaning up, sounds like what TwoCents was describing. . . Those were kind of cool. . .

I was looking into getting Rabbit Snails right up until I heard that leeches are a fairly commonplace occurrence with them. . . I changed my mind REALLY fast. Just. . . not okay with leeches!!!
*shudder*

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The movement you described for the Leech is exactly how this was moving. I haven't seen another since I took that one out so hopefully it was just that one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts