Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I've gotten my 20 gal tank I've stocked it with all kind of plants. What came with those plants - do I have to even say it? There were thousands of them! I tried picking them out by hand at first, which seemed to work out pretty well. Thing is, I just woke up this morning to find multiple egg sacks over pretty much every leaf of my plants.

I would just buy assassin snails, but don't think that it would be a smart idea to have them mailed in the middle of winter. Any other way of dealing with this?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would do nothing.

In a year there will only be a few left.

my .02

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would like to say my ghost shrimp killed off my snail population in no time to my girlfriends dismay. Haha my "cleaner shrimp" cleaned up the wrong thing. So if you can get some ghost shrimp they will wreck a snail population. I would get a few because they like to jump when your acclimating, also put tin foil or plastic wrap over the container and just be ready to try and save the dumb ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i am a snail lover. LOL. i would search locally for a few assassin snails and handle them that way. it may be worth the drive within say, a 20 mile radius?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Snails multiply to the source of the food.

If you overfeed, you get a lot of snails. If you feed less, or have less dying vegetation in the tank, then you have fewer snails.

Both of those things would be causing you massive problems, but they aren't because the snails are taking care of it. Basically, snails are better than the alternative.

If you have big snails like apple snails, them dying is a problem, as they foul the water. Small snails just become fish or snail food as they near death.

Do nothing. Snails are good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would either find yourself some assassin snails, or get a bigger snail that can out-compete them. The snail population is going to grow to keep up with the food supply. Obviously something is feeding them, so either figure out what that is and reduce or eliminate it, or get something that is going to clean it up or wipe out your snails. You could go with a Mystery snail, assuming that your plants can withstand how rough they can be. Their biggest problem is that they are big and like to climb on the plants. However they are voracious eaters, and will out compete the other snails for food. When they die, the Mystery snail will eat them too. Mystery snails cannot reproduce asexually, so if you have only one, there will be no more. Even if you got more than one, they lay their eggs on the glass out of the water, so you will see this pink cluster stuck to the side of your tank that you can easily pop off. (They take weeks to hatch, so if you don't catch it right away, it's no biggie)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would like to say my ghost shrimp killed off my snail population in no time to my girlfriends dismay. Haha my "cleaner shrimp" cleaned up the wrong thing. So if you can get some ghost shrimp they will wreck a snail population. I would get a few because they like to jump when your acclimating, also put tin foil or plastic wrap over the container and just be ready to try and save the dumb ones.
My mystery snails eat ghost shrimp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have recently embarked on a daily routine of scooping up them Nerite baby snails in my Platy tank. Hope that will help keep them snails to a minimum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You have Nerite snails breeding in your tank? How much salt do you have in it?

And my mystery snail, specifically my large blue one, ambushes them. When I have them in there, the snail seems to know when I am going to get up and turn the light on. He will sit at the entrance to one of the hiding spots, and will literally jump down onto the shrimp when I turn the light on and they scatter. I don't know if he catches any then, but it is amusing. But when the snail is up in the powerhead, and a shrimp is cleaning it, he will slowly creep up behind him, kind of lean back, and inch forward, and then drop right on the shrimp. I have seen him grab it and eat it.
He also eats worms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have Nerite snails breeding in your tank? How much salt do you have in it?
I don't add salt in my tank. I had two adult Nerite Horned Snails, then it resulted in a nightmare for me. I had bought them to eat up the algae on the glass, and they did a good job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Probly not something most would consider as an intentional fix, but I caught a turtle in a local pond, a striped mud turtle to be exact. He apparently has a vendetta against snails. I have a planted tank, so I put in bout twenty MTS snails. Moment they started moving, he swam over and started biting and cherishing them all!! Has done this with every type of snail I have tried. Only kind I can use are snails too big to fit in his mouth!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Horned merits snails cannot breed in freshwater. They require brackish water for the snails to successfully hatch. They will lay eggs regardless.
Also, the horned nerite snail will not overpopulate a tank. They are voracious eaters and will quickly clean your tank and the weakest cannot survive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probly not something most would consider as an intentional fix, but I caught a turtle in a local pond, a striped mud turtle to be exact. He apparently has a vendetta against snails. I have a planted tank, so I put in bout twenty MTS snails. Moment they started moving, he swam over and started biting and cherishing them all!! Has done this with every type of snail I have tried. Only kind I can use are snails too big to fit in his mouth!
Ah! Thanks for the tip. I may get a terrapin turtle next time.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome! Don't know if all turtles do that though. Had an alligator snapping that I had caught, yes, it was an alligator snapper not some other turtle. And he left all the snails alone. Haha that was about the only thing he didn't completely destroy or eat. That thing was a monster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Horned merits snails cannot breed in freshwater. They require brackish water for the snails to successfully hatch. They will lay eggs regardless.
Also, the horned nerite snail will not overpopulate a tank. They are voracious eaters and will quickly clean your tank and the weakest cannot survive.
Yes, there was once when my adult horned nerites got seriously malnutritioned and starved to death after cleaning up all the algae on the walls. I'd say for a smallist tank, one horned nerite is good enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts