Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ppl
well im just wondering if i can stick little crabs in with a betta. or will the crab pinch at it or somthing bcuz ive seen crabs with other types of fish but not bettas[/i]

·
Registered
946 Posts
Fiddler crabs?

Well, fiddler crabs need a tank that's set up with a lower water level so that they can be out of it when they want, and that doesn't give the Betta a whole lot of room to get away. So, either Crab will kill Betta if Crab is big enough, or if Crab is small then Betta will either hurt or kill Crab. Fiddlers do better in a slightly brackish environment anyways, so it's better off you don't mix them.

(And don't listen to the stupid LFS people when they say they are freshwater and fully aquatic, we presented the Petco guy with proof that they weren't and he still refused to believe it. Our crab lived 3 years but ended up having some kind of weird molting problem.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o shucks i was afraid of that :(

(off topic but...) i really wish i had a petco here in canada cuz everybody keeps saying how great and superior it is to other stores.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Blah. Overpriced and the employees are not as dedicated to their job as the little mom & pop that usually work the hours themselves and will bend over backwards to keep the customer happy.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Flashygrrl said:
Blah. Overpriced and the employees are not as dedicated to their job as the little mom & pop that usually work the hours themselves and will bend over backwards to keep the customer happy.
Well maybe things are a little different in Canada as far as experience needed to do it.

As for crabs, I have seen truely aquatic little ones but I can not remember the names of them. I also think every one fo them was at least brachish.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The LFS we go to sells red-clawed crabs. These do fine in fresh water but aren't really "fully aquatic." I got one for one of my tanks, and I keep the water level just low enough so that there's an island formed by a piece of driftwood. He spends a decent amount of time out of the water. He mostly eats whatever he can get has claws on (usually algae wafers).

He only lives with fast moving fish, but I've definitely seen him try to reach out and snag a passing barb. I definitely wouldn't recommend him with a betta, as their slower speed and huge trailing fins are basically an invitation to get jumped by a crab. They're fun critters for other types of tanks, though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i decided to go with shrimp then instead
one reason: i only have a 5gal. (are crabs alright in 5gs?)
and two: im scared ill wake up one morining and see my betta trapped in the iron grip of the crabs giant claw.
amano shrimp seem less violent and theyre fully aquatic. i dont realy feel like seting up a vivarium/tank.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so crabs dont go in 5galls then? if so especially mine bcuz mine is one of those tall ones that are higher than they are long.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think a small crab would be fine in a 5 gallon, but again, you'd want it to be able to get out of the water. They just shouldn't be housed with other fish in such a small tank.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i would want a bottom dweller i would want a whole flock of them. im getting 3 amano shrimp. and they're probly cheaper anyway

·
Registered
946 Posts
Somewhere I read that you optimally want a 10 gallon. Whatever.

Mine did fine by himself but for some reason he kept eating his female friend that we'd give him, we don't know if they died by themselves or what but one managed to carry an egg pouch (babies didn't survive of course, that takes entirely too much effort with little chance of good outcome) so it wasn't like we put her in the tank and boom she was gone. That's why I wonder if the tank was maybe too small for them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flashygrrl said:
Mine did fine by himself but for some reason he kept eating his female friend that we'd give him, we don't know if they died by themselves or what but one managed to carry an egg pouch (babies didn't survive of course, that takes entirely too much effort with little chance of good outcome) so it wasn't like we put her in the tank and boom she was gone. That's why I wonder if the tank was maybe too small for them.
well i dunno. i would want these shrimp cuz all i have for a filter is and undergravle grid with and airstone in an opening and going up a plastic tube connected to an air pump. i always have a bunch of leftover food in the gravle that i keep having to clean. and plus they just look cool 8)

i alread have a thread aking about some shrimp. http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15832

·
Registered
9 Posts
Meatpuppet said:
so crabs dont go in 5galls then? if so especially mine bcuz mine is one of those tall ones that are higher than they are long.

No putting a crab in such a small tank with a fish would just end up stressing them both.

I have had Fiddler Crabs for years in my tanks and have yet had one of them hurt a fish. I keep hearing people talking about how mean Fiddlers are but in reality odds are most of these people took little time to learn the needs of both their fish and there crabs. When given the right environment (large enough tank and access to fresh air) they will thrive and live for years and not give 2 s**ts about the fish they live with. In fact I have 10 Fiddlers in my 55g tall tank and one of my crabs in now way over 2 years old not counting the time before I bought him. And yes one of the fish in my tank is a Betta. Here are a few pictures of their home.The 1st picture is a little older but you can see my oldest crab. The rest are more current and yes that is real live moss.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow that is a nice setup. And what do u mean that is real live moss? Like it grew on its on,or u bought it and it attached? Do u have a full tank pic, I would like to see it?? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
jmelissa82 said:
Wow that is a nice setup. And what do u mean that is real live moss? Like it grew on its on,or u bought it and it attached? Do u have a full tank pic, I would like to see it?? :D
Thanks
Its a 55 g Tall. Its filled with water to the point where the crabs can just barley not reach the top. I try to keep the water level at around 21".
The moss is sold at PetSmart in the reptile section under the name T-Rex Frog Moss, its it is a dormant plant that comes to life when watered.
All you do is dip it in water for one min then place it where ever you want. I have had it for a little while is going great and the crabs love it.
All the full tank pictures I have are older I will take some later tonight and post them. Until then here is a picture of the tank when it was 1st set it up before I turned it into a planted tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
keeping crabs in a 80% water with a floiting log or something

would it be possible to keep a crab alive in a tank with 80% water and a floating log or objected.:shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts