Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Welcome.:wave:

Pls post the exact water parameters including ammonia as suggested by Lioness in your other thread. Ich will not show up until your fish is stressed but I doubt it is ich. There are other diseases associated by flicking. Are your fish breathing rapidly? Any pictures of your mollies?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Your threads have been merged. It gets confusing with three threads.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Re: paranoid about ich

jandpgault said:
Ok. I will stop by the pet store and pick up a test kit for ammonia. Any suggestions on which kit to buy?

My readings as of this morning were 40 for nitrate, 0 for nitrite, 75 for hardness, 120 for alkalinity, and 7.0 for PH. (I use the Quick dip 5 in 1 test kits). Is this an ok kit to use or do you reccomend a different one?
Use API Master Freshwater test kit.
One more note - this evening, I noticed that more of my guppies were flicking themselves against the gravel. I do not want an outbreak of ich, so I started treating my tank this evening for ich. I do not see any spots on any of my fish, and all (except for the dalmation molly) are behaving and eating normally.
Pls cancel the treatment. You are not sure of your exact water parameters after you used the test strips. Also, do not fix what is not broken. Bad water parameters and medications can have adverse effects to the fish. Flicking is a sign of a lot of things more than just ich. Gill flukes, Oodinium, etc. Occasional flickings are often seen. There's no need to worry in this case as they also scratch like humans do but frequent flickings is something to be concern about.
I am really, and I mean REALLY paranoid about getting ich in my tank. I used to have a few semi-aggressive fish (about a month before converting to a community tank) and my favorite was my irridescent shark. We had him for nearly 8 months. Anyway, I had never had any trouble at all with anything harming my fish until he just started to develop little white spots one day. He still acted the same except he did flick himself up against things. I didn't know much about fish then (and honestly I still don't know much today) so I just assumed he was just maturing. Boy was I totally wrong! I knew something was definitely wrong when one morning I looked at him and he had a white dot explosion all over his body. I consulted the pet store and they told me I had ich. I had NEVER heard of ich. Anyway, we treated him for about 2 weeks until he eventually lost the battle and died.
What is your temperature right now? Make sure your fish are eating nutritious foods and water parameters ok after getting the API test kit. Temperature at 28 degrees Celsius rarely allows ich parasites to thrive longer.
So, what do you guys think, am I just a total fish idiot? Could it possibly be something else?
Mate, relax. Your paranoia can result to disasters.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Re: Answers...

jandpgault said:
I was told by multiple store employees at Petsmart that the mollies needed salt added to the tank. So, I added salt.
Utter rubbish. Mollies can do well with or without salt. If they do need salt, then they need a tank by themselves. As Dlil mentioned, salt is not needed. Mollies will adapt.:)
I bought my first fish tank over a year ago and it was a 10 gallon and had semi-aggressive to aggressive fish.
What fish were aggressive and semi-aggressive?
I decided to switch to the 55 gallon about 6 months later when my fish got huge and ran out of room in the 10 gallon tank. (I eventually added a few tiger barbs and a silver and black shark to my original inhabitants which were a plecostomus, an irridescent shark, and a large red-eyed gold colored fish - I can't remember what it was called)
You might want this added information. Common plecs, irridescent shark, bala shark(silver and black) will not fit in a 55 gallons.
I have had community fish in the tank I guess for a few weeks now and the first few weeks went by great. But here in the last couple of days, 3 of them have just died. They all seemed to be thriving, eating, etc... No signs of disease or infection. My dalmation molly on the other hand is showing signs of stress, but I can't figure out why.
Your water parameters are excellent. Try asking your stores where they got those fish. You'll need to dig deeper on how their suppliers keep the fish or even breed them. Interbreeding with mass productions often results to poor quality and susceptibility to diseases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts