Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is something that I would like to request be changed or fixed in one of the species articles: "Bichirs are primarily carnivorous and will appreciate fresh frozen and live foods, however, they can be accustomed to eating dried foods such as sinking pellets. They are ambush predators and may stalk and prey on smaller fish.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish-species/polypterus-senegalus-178826/#ixzz2VH0hFzYi"

I have bolded the part that I find concern with. While these animals certainly will eat "Live food" it is not something that we should advocate or suggest in it's article. At least not without a small addition detailing the risks. There are multiple risks associated with feeding Bichirs on live food. Live foods such as feeder fish are often poor in nutrition to start with. They also tend to come diseased, and easily introduce sickness to your animal and to your tank.

Live foods also egg on aggression between tank mates and within the animal itself. Anyone familure with raising animals like snakes (for example) understand how live food translates into a more aggressive tempered animal.

Live foods also can lead to injury especially in the case of a tank setting where in the chase the animal can hurt itself running into the walls or into decor. With this in mind could we please make a change to either eliminate the mention of live food, or expand upon the risks just so that it's mentioned? When it comes to raising these animals nutrition is very important. A lot of bichir keepers find that areas like seafood markets at grocery stores yield a ready supply of safer foods that the fish are often likely to take to and gain great nutritional benefit from. This kind of varied diet is always going to be better than the traditional live feeding that some people get accustomed to with their fish.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I copied this profile over, but didn't have any part in writing it; the author(s) appear at the bottom, and that one was written by OddballFishCoveter, who may not even be here now, I don't know him/her.

I will make the suggested change. Thanks sanguinefox.

Byron.

Edit: Just occurred to me, that we could add your paragraph about seafood, etc, and give you credit, if that's OK? I like to give credit where credit is due. Before I do this, perhaps you could just confirm, and if you have any other suggestions, mention them?

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I copied this profile over, but didn't have any part in writing it; the author(s) appear at the bottom, and that one was written by OddballFishCoveter, who may not even be here now, I don't know him/her.

I will make the suggested change. Thanks sanguinefox.

Byron.

Edit: Just occurred to me, that we could add your paragraph about seafood, etc, and give you credit, if that's OK? I like to give credit where credit is due. Before I do this, perhaps you could just confirm, and if you have any other suggestions, mention them?
I'm fine with that although let me expend in general on food. There are a lot of people who don't understand just how important nutrition is for these animals. If you don't feed them proper growing up, they suffer great later on for it.:

Tilapia, mussels, prawns, shrimp, cod, and silver sides are all good frozen alternatives. They need to be chopped into bite sized pieces and sometimes it is better to just thaw them before putting them in.

Fattier foods such as Beefheart and Salmon are considered risk foods. The higher fat content can lead to fatty liver disease and as such should be a treat if given at all, and never a staple of their diet. Frozen foods such as Blood Worms are great for younger bichirs but are not really a good staple when they get older.

Non frozen options include worms such as night-crawlers, red wrigglers, and earth worms. All of these can be farmed at home or purchased but be careful they do not come from soils contaminated with pesticides or chemicals. To prevent fighting between tank mates it can be best to chop the worms into smaller bits and spread them out in the tank during feeding.

Other less messy alternatives are shrimp pellets, and carnivore pellets. Caution should be taken when buying these as the ingredient list is very important. You don't want fish that grow fat on ingredients such as grain, rice, or wheat middling. High quality prepared foods should have meat as their main ingredients.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I added your text to the profile, just have a look to see if all's OK. Thanks again. B.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added your text to the profile, just have a look to see if all's OK. Thanks again. B.
Yep that looks good. Thanks :3

Reactions: Byron
1 - 6 of 6 Posts